Sophos Preventing a WinXP Update?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
sammythesm

Sophos Preventing a WinXP Update?

Post by sammythesm »

Before the Sophos 9.x upgrade, I had automatic updates turned on for all our clerk computers. After the update, it appears I have one update stuck in the queue that never seems to actually update. It's a Windows XP Security Update (KB972270). Every time I hit install on it, it acts like it's going to install and then never does.

I remember hearing at the tech conference that they were going to start managing updating/patching computers from CHQ - which I assume they will do through Sophos - but am wondering if this is that, or if I've got some other issue...

Ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've been having problems with KB972270 & KB982132 in FHCs. The problem is something keeps setting the security of the t2embed.dll file to "Everyone: Deny". MS Updates is then unable to check the version of that file and consequently keeps displaying an update that won't "take". I've not had that problem on non-church computers. I've not noticed it on Admin computers, but I could be wrong. I don't know if the problem is Sophos, but it does appear to be something about the church environment.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sammythesm wrote:It's a Windows XP Security Update (KB972270). Every time I hit install on it, it acts like it's going to install and then never does.
Sometimes the temporary file for the update may become corrupt or incomplete. Clear the temp directory (%temp%) and try Windows Update again.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

RussellHltn wrote:I've been having problems with KB972270 & KB982132 in FHCs. The problem is something keeps setting the security of the t2embed.dll file to "Everyone: Deny". MS Updates is then unable to check the version of that file and consequently keeps displaying an update that won't "take". I've not had that problem on non-church computers. I've not noticed it on Admin computers, but I could be wrong. I don't know if the problem is Sophos, but it does appear to be something about the church environment.

If I recall correctly, I did a Google search for KB972270 that led to a solution for this problem. Either that, in another post on this forum.

I had the problem on 2 Admin computers, but not on FHC computers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:If I recall correctly, I did a Google search for KB972270 that led to a solution for this problem. Either that, in another post on this forum.

I'd be interested in what you find/did. I can temporarily fix it by changing the rights to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\t2embed.dll file, but then a few days/weeks later, something resets it and the update comes back. I could hide the update, but that kind of rubs me the wrong way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

RussellHltn wrote:I'd be interested in what you find/did. I can temporarily fix it by changing the rights to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\t2embed.dll file, but then a few days/weeks later, something resets it and the update comes back. I could hide the update, but that kind of rubs me the wrong way.

I'll post the solution tomorrow when I'm using my PC! There are a few extra steps needed to make it stick!

This URL takes you to the solution!

http://solutions.csueastbay.edu/questio ... tionid=434
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:This URL takes you to the solution!

http://solutions.csueastbay.edu/questio ... tionid=434

I haven't seen steps 8 - 13 before. I had been doing 1-7.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

RussellHltn wrote:I haven't seen steps 8 - 13 before. I had been doing 1-7.

It works! Let us know how you get on, please.

Return to “Clerk Computers”