Seeking Single Large Ward Map PDF file

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
dennisn

Seeking Single Large Ward Map PDF file

Post by dennisn »

I am our ward's emergency preparedness chairperson. The church's LDS Maps website is assume, but --- its interactive, and only shows one screen at a time. I am seeking a single PDF file of our entire ward showing enough detail (ex. street names and family surname tags) that we can use it in emergency preparedness planning. For our ward (in California) this translates into about a 4' x 5' printed map. With a single large pdf file, we can get a commercial printer to print it out on one or two very large sheets of paper. Such a map would be helpful to our committee (three heads peering at a single monitor screen feels unworkable to me). It will also be helpful in presenting the plan to the entire ward council.

Does anyone know of some way to automate this so we can collect the LDS Maps screens into a single large PDF file, or use the info in the ward MLS csv file and a freely accessible street map such as openstreetmap.org to create a large PDF file?

We can't be the only ward with this kind of problem.

Thanks for any help / suggestions.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

dennisn wrote: Does anyone know of some way to automate this so we can collect the LDS Maps screens into a single large PDF file, or use the info in the ward MLS csv file and a freely accessible street map such as openstreetmap.org to create a large PDF file?
See the discussion about this topic in a thread about the beta maps website, which has such capability under development. Perhaps you could make the beta website work for your purposes using a custom PDF size. If not, you might try the offline solution I describe there using a desktop map application. At this point, I still prefer that solution for printing a 36 X 48 map.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

One of your bishopric (including ward clerk, exec sec) can get poster sized maps of your ward from CDOL. They don't have the members already on them so you would have to add them yourself if you need that.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

dennisn wrote:Such a map would be helpful to our committee (three heads peering at a single monitor screen feels unworkable to me). It will also be helpful in presenting the plan to the entire ward council.

If it were me BTW, I would find a large printed map to be the most unwieldy solution for this particular purpose. Some applications, such as maps for full-time missionaries, require hardcopy. But they have a lot of disadvantages -- printing expense, unwieldy size, zero opportunity for automated analytics, and the fact that they immediately begin growing obsolete as members move. So I would favor electronic media. To show a large map in a meeting, hook up a projector or large screen to a laptop. If the church website does not meet your needs, try exporting the boundary and member data to external desktop software.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”