Need an Adminstrator View

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
wkadams

Need an Adminstrator View

Post by wkadams »

We had a situation in our Stake where one of our Stake calendars went missing. We knew it was still around because we could see events from it on the location calendars. Opening the event on the location calendar confirmed the existence of the calendar but not a clue as to where it was. Through a bit of detective work and mostly trial and error, we found that some way the calendar had gotten identified as a calendar for one of our units. We got the the unit to correct that and now have the calendar back.

Prior to calendar V2, we had worked on a naming convention for calendars so building schedulers could easily identify which unit had the building scheduled. It was easy to see all the names of the calendars in V1. Not so much in V2. I ran accross a calendar today that was just named YM Activites without much clue as to which ward it belonged to. Clearly, they had not followed our naming convention.

Well, these two situations point out to me the need for an Stake Administrative View. In this view, a Stake administrator would be able to see the calendar structure (including calendar names) for the Stake as well as all the Wards/Branches. This would be a big help in troubleshooting as well as providing appropriate training. I am not asking for any expanded scheduling role for the adminstrator, I am getting pretty comfortable with the roles as assigned in V2. I am also not asking that any changes be enabled from the Stake adminstrative view. However, an overall view of the structure would be really helpful. In the first situation above, after we realized we had a missing calendar, it took us about 2 weeks to work through the process of finding the calendar.

I thought I would post this on the forum and gather any comments. Then if appropriate, post it on feedback as a change request. Thanks
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Design work for this type of functionality is underway and will be included in an upcoming release.
ShariCarnahan

Post by ShariCarnahan »

In our stake we have put together a convention that people entering information put a 2 character label for each ward. For example we have 3 wards in our building their labels are CR, LL, and FW. So in the label it will read CR RS ARM (Cedar River Relief Society Additional Relief Society Meeting) then in the description we have that spelled out and the name and either phone number or email address of the person requesting the reservation. (this alleviates the problem of the last person changing the event is listed as who created the event).

This makes it workable right now.
wkadams

Post by wkadams »

Thanks, we have essentially the same naming convention. The problem comes in if someone doesn't follow the convention and there is no way for a Stake Adminstrator to see the calendar structure (names etc.) Hence my suggestion for a Stake Adminstrator View which would show the structure and for troubleshooting and verification of compliance.

Return to “Calendar”