Troubleshooting MLS transmission problems
All content on this page is moving to LDS Help Center under the Meetinghouse Technology topic. This page was supposed to be deleted at the end of October 2012.
This page provides troubleshooting procedures for common MLS communication problems, but does not address all possible problems or procedures.
- 1 Troubleshooting questions
- 1.1 Is this a new computer?
- 1.2 Has the computer ever transmitted successfully?
- 1.3 Have you already installed Sophos Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software?
- 1.4 Did you remove or uninstall the Digital Line Detect?
- 1.5 Did you get a security failure?
- 1.6 Does the transmission fail when “verifying username and password” or when “transmitting data” and then starts dialing again?
- 1.7 Did you make any changes to the computer or install any kind of software?
- 2 Level 1 troubleshooting
- 3 Level 2 troubleshooting
- 4 Level 3 troubleshooting
- 5 Level 4 troubleshooting
Consider each of the following questions in order as you troubleshoot your MLS communication problems.
Is this a new computer?
Has the computer ever transmitted successfully?
Have you already installed Sophos Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software?
- Yes: New computers should transmit with MLS before Sophos Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software should be installed. If Java is being blocked by the Windows/Sophos firewall, holding down the Ctrl key while starting MLS should pop up the Java blocker notification window. You should click the "Unblock" button to except MLS Java from the firewall. Go to Level 3 troubleshooting and check for the firewall.
- No: Go to the next question
Did you remove or uninstall the Digital Line Detect?
- Yes: Go to the next question
- No: Go to the Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel and remove Digital Line Detect. Go to Level 3 troubleshooting and check for the firewall.
Did you get a security failure?
Does the transmission fail when “verifying username and password” or when “transmitting data” and then starts dialing again?
- Yes: If the error message is an Afaria error, go to Level 2 troubleshooting. If it shows the Three possible problems… error, go to Level 1 troubleshooting.
- No: Go to Level 1 troubleshooting
Did you make any changes to the computer or install any kind of software?
- Yes: A problem typically occurs if another modem is installed. If a cell phone is used as a modem to transmit data, it installs a modem that needs to be removed before the computer can transmit data to the administrative office.
- No: Go to Level 1 troubleshooting
Level 1 troubleshooting
Check the phone lines, modems, firewalls and wireless routers. Be sure they are all connected properly. If the unit is using a dialup modem to transmit, check the phone line and listen for excessive static. If there is excessive static, contact the FM group. They should work with the phone company to clear the lines for modem transmissions. The best way to test whether the telephone line is interfering with the transmission attempts is to take the computer to another clerk's office where a different unit's computer is successfully transmitting. Plug the telephone cord coming from the line/wall side of the modem on the non-transmitting computer into their wall jack and try to transmit. If transmissions are successful there, the original telephone line should be repaired or filtered properly to correct the situation.
The dialer numbers are located in System Options in MLS. Click on the System tab to the left to verify the information is correct.
- The area code field is not used to dial, but is a place holder. It should have the area code from which you are dialing, if populated.
- Verify the dialer number. If there are two numbers they should be separated by a semi-colon. Also, there should be no spaces or dashes between individual numerals.
- Verify that the Dialer Script is checked ignore and MCI is selected, for US and Canadian locations.
- If MCI is not selected, remove the checkmark from the Dialer Script. Click on Select and choose MCI. Click OK and put the checkmark back in the Dialer Script Areas outside the Us and Canada should use the correspondent script required for your area.
- If any changes were made, click Save at the bottom and then Close.
- Do a Send/Receive Changes. If it still will not transmit, continue to Level 2 troubleshooting.
Level 2 troubleshooting
- Close MLS.
- Go the Start Menu and open My Computer.
- Double-click on CDrive (C:).
- Double-click on Afaria.
- Delete the Inbound file and the Outbound file.
- Go to the Start menu and open the Control Panel.
- Open the Network Connections.
- Delete the MLS dial up (connectoid).
- Shut down the computer.
- Turn on the computer, sign on to MLS and do a Send/Receive Changes.
Level 3 troubleshooting
If the unit computer is running Windows XP Service Pack 2, check the configuration to see if the Windows Firewall is blocking the communication of Java and MLS.
- Close MLS.
- Hold down the Ctrl key and double-click on the MLS icon.
- This will bring up a black dialog box, the MLS screen, and possibly a third box that contains the following message:
"To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this program. Do you want to continue blocking this program?" Three options are given: Keep Blocking, Unblock and Ask me later.
- Choose Unblock.
- Close the windows, then reboot the computer.
- Sign on to MLS and do a Send/Receive Changes.
Level 4 troubleshooting
Steps on how to uninstall and reinstall MLS.
Note: Prior to doing this step, save a copy of C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS\dialer.properties and/or make note of the dialer number(s) in MLS System Options under System.
- Make a backup of the MLS data.
- Go to File.
- Click on Backup to a File (be sure to save it to a flash drive or some other location from which it can be easily retrieved).
- Exit MLS.
- Go to the Start Menu and open the Control Panel.
- Double-click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove MLS and Afaria Client.
- To remove program(s), click once on program name.
- Click on the Change/Remove.
- Follow the instructions to remove.
- Close the Control Panel and shut down the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- Go to the Start Menu and open My computer.
- Open CDrive(C:).
- Delete Afaria.
- To delete, right-click on the folder and click Delete
- Choose Yes when asked if you are sure you want to remove it.
- Open Program Files.
- Delete jre5 (if it exists), jre6 and AClient.
- Open LDS Church.
- Delete the MLS folder.
- Delete the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\udx\[unit number] folder.
- Shut down and reboot the computer.
- Reinstall the current version of MLS.
- Restore the backup.
- Log in to MLS and click on File
- Click on Restore from a File.
- Locate the backup and restore it.