Template talk:Meetinghouse technology
It seems to me that too many links are getting added to the nav box. I fail to see how the callings (other than stake technology specialist) are sufficiently relevant to the topic of Meetinghouse technology to justify their inclusion. A nav box is designed to facilitate navigation among closely related articles. When I am studying Meetinghouse Webcast, for example, I may very well be interested in Meetinghouse Internet or Bandwidth Guidelines, but I'm not going to care one whit about a membership clerk or financial clerk.
I would recommend the removal of the entire Related Callings section; move "Stake technology specialist" down to "Related Topics"; and remove all the other existing related topics. The only topic that is closely related enough to remain is "Meetinghouse technology", and that is linked from the title of the template. It might be helpful to add in the Physical Facilities Representative, since he is much more closely related to meetinghouse technologies than are any of the clerks. -- Aebrown 20:03, 26 May 2010 (UTC)
- Since there was no response for a week, I went ahead and made the changes I proposed above. -- Aebrown 14:19, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- We are trying to create a navigation box that will help those with callings related to ANY technology in meetinghouses to be able to navigate quickly around the Meetinghouse technology sites. This template is to be used for the "main" Meetinghouse technology pages, and similar templates will be used for the sub-sites. So, I believe that clerk callings are relevant to this topic, since all clerks deal with different aspects of Meetinghouse technologies. As they navigate away from the main Meetinghouse technologies page, the nav box will change to include only those things which are of interest to them - like you notice in the Meetinghouse webcast page. - Ken 16:23, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- Although I can see some value in those clerk callings, I still wonder about the value of such links in the nav box itself. A nav box is typically used to navigate among closely related articles; in most cases, the articles linked to will be so closely connected to the overall topic that they will use the same nav box. That is not the case with all those callings. It also applies to the "Related topics"; in particular, I am very hard pressed to see any but an extremely oblique connection between "Financial audit" or "Recording ordinances" and Meetinghouse technology. If those two topics belong here, then just about any clerk-related topic belongs as well. A nav box should contain helpful links, but wasting space on loosely related topics reduces the effectiveness of the nav box by giving the user too many options to scan through.
- But remember that the nav box is by no means the only source of links. A main article (such as Meetinghouse technology in this case) will have many links. It could have a section on "Roles and responsibilities" or "Callings" that could not only link to the articles for the callings, but could additionally provide some helpful information as to how those callings are related to meetinghouse technologies. As it is, you can follow a link to ward clerk and when you arrive at that page, you will have absolutely no idea how that is related to meetinghouse technologies. -- Aebrown 19:50, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- Also, it is important to have a link back to the main Meetinghouse technology page as users navigate around the different wiki pages, so we really need to keep the related link that returns them to that page. This is outlined in the "How to create a Meetinghouse technology wiki page" instructions.
- That seems superfluous to me, since the title of the nav box is a link to that exact same page. Navigation boxes (especially those that float on the right side of the page) can interfere with other text on the page, so keeping them reasonably small is helpful. -- Aebrown 17:04, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- I have changed the template back to the way it was previously. - Ken 16:23, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- The nav box is getting big, and even if you don't like some of my particular suggestions above, I think something should be done to reduce the size. One additional idea is to make the box slightly wider. Then the box title would not wrap, and we could put the first two sections in columns. That would save about 6 lines worth of height, which would help quite a bit. -- Aebrown 19:50, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- I like the idea of having the first two sections side-by-side as two columns. --Steve 16:12, 3 June 2010 (UTC)