Before it gets away from me, I decided to put in some status.
I worked on getting the Python based VidCap stuff compiling and found the 'hello world' project Stephen talked about. At least I think it was the same.
Unfortunately, porting that logic to C# wasn't trivial. Without Stephen's help and understanding I wasn't sure if I was even working with the correct logic steps, I bailed to more familiar territory.
I think Stephen can pursue the Python stuff. But, just looking at all of the pieces required it seems like it will end up being a very large executable.
The Friday afternoon I spent working with AmCap, the MS Sample VidCap executable/source. I was able to compile it and run it compiled. At the same time Micheal found a third-party 'free' utility that he was able to get everything he needed. He did however need to run a conversion/compression after the file was created.
He wrote an email trying to communicate with the author about rigths/source code possibilities. Stay tuned. If successful, that may be the best solution.
So, Tyler and I put the AmCap code into SVN as a starting place.
I think I'll put the compression piece to the end of the capture logic.
Then I'll mess with the UI.
I found this active project written for .Net and updated Windows 7 libs. It wraps the DirectShow libraries with .Net.
From their website... http://directshownet.sourceforge.net/about.html
DirectShowNET Library The purpose of this library is to allow access to Microsoft's DirectShow functionality from within .NET applications. This library supports both Visual Basic .NET and C#, and theoretically, should work with any .NET language.
There are sample applications as well.