Talk:Temporary membership record
I have updated this page to make it more aesthetically pleasing and more "searchable." In doing a search for "out of unit" records, there was no reference to this page because of the hyphens. Even if the hyphens are grammatically correct, the information would never be found in a search unless the hyphens were input. Also, it seems to be proven easier to follow a 1-2-3 format for instructions rather than a paragraph. --Caleb 22:10, 29 April 2009 (UTC)
- I like the change to headings and breaking out into numbered steps. That does make it easier to follow. The change to "Out of unit member" with no hyphens is certainly also the right thing to do. Using hyphens was always incorrect in this context, since MLS consistently uses the term with no hyphens.
- The one place I might have a tiny concern is in the case of Out-of-unit Administrators. In that case, MLS (unfortunately) has chosen to include the hyphens. I would lean towards matching MLS in any documentation. The MLS Users article does this in almost all cases. It doesn't make sense to me for this article to be the only place in the wiki that refers to "out of unit administrators" with no hyphens.
- On the topic of a husband and wife that are both Out of Unit members: I noticed that you deleted the option to add them both as Out of Unit members, and just live with the fact that they won't show up as a married couple. The reason that option was listed is that someone in the LDS Tech forum was quite adamant that they wanted both people to show up as Out of Unit members so that they could be deleted at the end of their service using the MLS "Remove Out of Unit Member" feature -- even though I explained that they could be deleted using the "Remove Temporary Records" feature quite easily. I'm okay with leaving that out, since I have to think that this was an atypical request. But I just thought I'd explain how it came to be in this article. -- Aebrown 01:25, 30 April 2009 (UTC)
- Alan, thank you again for your feedback on this article. The reason I removed the information on the spouse as an "Out of Unit" member is that it was extremely confusing and the household records in MLS will still not be correct. I have searched the forum for a possible thread on the subject that we could just link to, but had limited results. Any suggestions on this? --Caleb 15:28, 30 April 2009 (UTC)
- You couldn't find this in the forum because I was confused about where the conversation took place. It was actually on the LDS Clerks e-mail list back on 29-30 Sept 2008. There is no way for you to see the conversation. In any case, I agree that having the husband and wife in separate households is confusing and so we shouldn't document that procedure. I'm happy with leaving the article the way it is now. -- Aebrown 16:27, 30 April 2009 (UTC)