Page still needed?
Do we still need this page, now that Swarm is built? --Tom Johnson (talk) 15:49, 11 June 2012 (MDT)
- It doesn't seem useful in its current form. However, it could be useful with completely different content. It could describe how to use Swarm, and perhaps even link to the screencast you made for the Blog 1.0 documentation swarm test. If such a page existed, then subsequent swarm tests could simply provide a link to this page instead of repeating the instructions each time. -- Aebrown (talk) 16:48, 11 June 2012 (MDT)
- Thanks Aaron. I did create help for Swarm here: Swarm Tester help. Since Swarm is already built, I don't see the need for this list of requirements. I pinged the LDSTech team IRC and got no response. This is one thing I dislike about wikis -- people create a page and then feel almost no sense of responsibility for removing it when the page becomes no longer necessary. As a result, the wiki get diluted with irrelevant information. --Tom Johnson (talk) 16:50, 11 June 2012 (MDT)
- I'm Alan, not Aaron, but thanks for the response anyway. :) I have seen the existing Swarm Tester help page but forgot about it. Oops. So I would agree that this page should be deleted.
- As for your larger point about dilution of the wiki content, I'll certainly agree that it happens, but I think that extra pages that have become irrelevant are a very minor problem. Sure, it would be nice if people cleaned them up, but hardly anyone would ever encounter this obsolete Swarm Tester page while using the wiki, so the impact of this dilution is infinitesimal. A related, but much more significant problem is having outdated content on pages that actually do get traffic. -- Aebrown (talk) 06:34, 12 June 2012 (MDT)
- Sorry Alan. I'm not sure where I got the name Aaron. Re dilution of wiki content, I think more irrelevant pages will make findability more difficult. For example, if you search for "swarm," you get both pages in the results -- one that's outdated, one that's not. --Tom Johnson (talk) 09:13, 12 June 2012 (MDT)
I just received word from the Swarm dev group that they no longer need this page, so I'm deleting it. --Tom Johnson (talk) 09:14, 12 June 2012 (MDT)
I decided to resurrect this page and move the content from Swarm Tester help here. --Tom Johnson (talk) 11:41, 21 June 2012 (MDT)