Talk:MLS: Feedback and Suggestions
I wasn't sure if this article is strictly only about the development of the application. I have started a new section about the MLS Training Lessons. If these suggestions are not appropriate for inclusion here, please move them to a more appropriate place in the wiki. --Steve 20:27, 30 November 2008 (UTC)
Features already in MLS
The following features requested are already in MLS. Although it is not listed in the wiki page as a requirement, in general it would be a good idea to post these ideas to the forum so they can receive some discussion, and be refined (or in some cases eliminated) before they are added to this list on the wiki. -- Aebrown 19:09, 19 December 2008 (UTC)
- Create a custom report that shows heads of household with spouse that can either be printed on standard mailing labels or exported as csv to be used in mail merges. Include the option of adding "Family" at the end of the names if children are present in the household.
- Aside from the option to add "Family" at the end, this capability is already in MLS. Just go to the Abbreviated Directory of members, and then you can do File|Print Mailing Labels, or do Ctrl+Shift+S to save as CSV. Even if this functionality were missing, adding it as a custom report doesn't seem like a good idea -- it wouldn't be particularly "custom" in that case. -- Aebrown 19:09, 19 December 2008 (UTC)
- As best I can tell, this suggestion does not work. The mailing label still lists only the HOH, rather than the HOH and spouse. -- jayriggity [at] gmail
- (Custom Reports section) Provide And / Or / Not operators (added by User:Nicholascrosby, 14 December 2009)
- The And function is completely supported. The Not operation is already supported in the individual criteria by selecting the "is not" comparison operator. The Or function is already supported within an individual criterion, so you can say, for example, "Priesthood Office -- is -- Elder; OR Priesthood Office -- is -- Seventy". The way OR is not supported is between different criteria, so you can't say something like "Age -- is -- 12; OR Sex -- is -- female". But that seems to be of limited usefulness. Please explain what is needed beyond what is already included in MLS. -- Aebrown 05:32, 15 December 2009 (UTC)
- (General section) Add a feature that allows the printing of address labels on a standard avery label sheet. (i.e. for mailing christmas cards :)
- (Organizations section) Provide a mechanism to allow clerks to transition 18-year-told girls back to the Laurel class until they actually join Relief Society. Most Laurels in the United States who turn 18 during their senior year of high school wait until graduation to transition to Relief Society. Currently, the Laurel Class in MLS has an upper age limit of 17.
- (Reports/Forms section) Allow printing in multiple languages for stake computer (e.g., Officers Sustained Form) -- Arb42 2 March 2010
- This is already possible. There is a dropdown in the upper right corner of the forms selection screen for selecting the language. Simply pick the language, then pick the form. -- Aebrown 18:36, 2 March 2010 (UTC)
- (General section) Provide option to print information in landscape orientation (most helpful on custom reports)
- This is possible by going to "Print Preview" and clicking on "Page Setup". This allows you to choose landscape or portrait orientation.
Suggestions that might not be a good idea
A suggestion was recently added: "When preparing donations for transmit, add the ability to select all checks instead of having to select each one individually." I would oppose this change. As a donation batch is being prepared for deposit, one of the required steps is to compare each check recorded in MLS with each check in the pile of checks being prepared for deposit. If indeed this comparison is being done check by check, it is trivial to check off the check box by each check in MLS. But if there were a "Check All" button, it would be far too easy to gloss over this step and not carefully make sure the list of checks in MLS matches the pile of checks exactly. -- Aebrown 17:14, 1 October 2009 (UTC)
- I would agree with Alan here. The process is programmed in so a review of the checks HAS to be made. Far too many deposit errors occur as it is, and I fear that a "Check All" option would only make it worse. --Caleb 18:50, 2 October 2009 (UTC)
- (General section) A note was added by Robertjeffmitchell to the An error occurred bug report: (On the same note, I noticed this error appears when callings have not been inputed for organizations and thus the vague error appears and the log complains about a divide by zero error, which seems to be the fact it can't find the calling.... 29Dec2009)
- While this is an interesting theory, it is not correct. On multiple installations it has been shown that organizations that have multiple callings already defined still have the error. The exact cause of the error has not been determined. -- Aebrown 00:10, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
- Simple typo in the main MLS Feedback and Suggestions first paragraph. The word "insure" should be "ensure". "Insure" means to pay money to help avert risk, and "ensure" means to make certain, which is the meaning implied here. Please delete this point when the typo is corrected (would have done it myself but it wouldn't let me). Thanks!
- That's not a typo. Webster's Dictionary defines "insure" as: "to make certain especially by taking necessary measures and precautions." That definition fits the usage just fine. I know that there are some style guides that take the rigid position on "insure" vs. "ensure" that you espouse, but there are plenty of respected sources that are more relaxed on this point. There's no confusion in the current wording, so I'll let it stand. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think there are plenty of more important issues in the wiki that could really use some help. -- Aebrown 20:41, 10 August 2011 (UTC)
- Custom Fields Revamp
- New.lds.org sync issues
- Visual Org Chart
- kennova , 16:51 31 October 2010
- Please do not add suggestions to this talk page. As the opening paragraph of the article states, "Before items can be added to this page, they need to be discussed on the LDSTech MLS Forum. This will insure that the issue is properly understood and is not already a capability of MLS; it will also make it possible to link all suggestions on this wiki page to a more detailed discussion on the forum. Once the idea has been discussed on the forum, an administrator will move the suggestion to this page -- regular users can no longer make changes to this page directly."
- So I have removed the content of your suggestions from this talk page. Feel free to retrieve your suggestions from the talk page history and post them to LDSTech forums. Once the topics are discussed there, they may well make their way to this article. Thanks! -- Aebrown 00:30, 1 November 2010 (UTC)
There is a few standard and logical callings missin ie. audit comitté member, there is a chairman and auditors but no committe members. Also YSA in Europe are organized into a YSA presidency; president, vice president, secretary, missionleader senior couple missionary.-- Royalismyrace 8 sep 2011
- See my reply immediately above, beginning "Please do not add suggestions...." -- Aebrown 06:43, 9 September 2011 (UTC)