Class not exported in organization.csv
Why doesn't the exported organization.csv file include a field for the Class? For Sunday School and Primary, this is important. Unjedai 13:08, 19 July 2010 (UTC)
- I agree that the Class field would be very useful, and I don't know why it is not included. This wiki article is simply an analysis of how the export files are actually structured. If you would like to suggest an improvement, this wiki is not the place to do it. Send feedback through MLS, or to firstname.lastname@example.org. -- Aebrown 20:32, 10 August 2011 (UTC)
In the Membership data section the following sentence appears:
"There is an extra trailing comma at the end of each line."
Is there an explanation for why there is a trailing comma at the end of each line? I do not believe that this is normal csv file formatting, and importing this into ward tools causes errors. To import correctly we have to remove these trailing commas, every time we want to export the data, for all four files.
If the trailing commas are necessary, then that's fine, but let's have the explanation right there on the page. If not, then can this be changed? --Swift 18:50, 10 August 2011 (UTC)
- I don't know why the extra comma is there. If I had to guess, I would say that it is related to some common code between the ward and stake exports, that doesn't handle the ward case just right (in the stake case, there are two additional columns). I really doubt that the extra commas are "necessary", so it doesn't make sense to document why they're there.
- I'm sure it would be easy to fix, but it would have to become a priority on the long list of potential enhancements and bug fixes. I doubt that it is deemed to be very important. But if you would like to suggest an improvement, this wiki is not the place to do it. Send feedback through MLS, or to email@example.com.
- As for Ward Tools, it seems odd that the developers of Ward Tools would write code to import the MLS export format, and not make it work properly with the way that data is actually exported. It's quite trivial to ignore an extra comma. So, you might also consider asking Ward Tools to fix their problem with importing the MLS export files. -- Aebrown 20:32, 10 August 2011 (UTC)
MRN in Membership.csv
This page says the Membership Record Number (MRN) is one of the fields in Membership.csv at the ward level. I did an export today and the resulting membership.csv file does not have an MRN column. Am I missing something? --Damonlbarry (talk) 23:17, 23 September 2012 (MDT)
- The little detail you missed is that near the top of the article it says that the information is current as of MLS 3.2.0. But it was in version 3.3.0 that the MRN was removed from the export files (see Timeline of MLS). No one has gone back to this article to update those details for any changes that occurred after MLS 3.2.0. I know that was over two years ago, but this is a community-supported wiki, and that just means no one has cared enough about those details to update the article. You're welcome to research the issue and update the article accordingly. Or I may find time to do it, but analyzing the various options for the various export files does take some time, so I make no promises. -- Aebrown (talk) 00:17, 24 September 2012 (MDT)