Sophos antivirus is the official anti-virus software for administrative computers. Sophos consists of anti-virus and anti-malware software and a firewall.
Current Version: 9.5
Sophos End Point Protection: Released to stake clerks and stake technology specialists on 22 December 2009. Sophos was updated to version 9.5 on January 23, 2012. Currently Sophos is the only approved Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware, desktop firewall allowed on Church-owned equipment. It allows Church headquarters to centrally manage and update Church-owned computer systems.
If other Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware or desktop firewall software is in use it should be promptly removed and replaced with Sophos. At startup and every two hours thereafter, Sophos checks for updated virus and malware definitions and automatically downloads updates when needed. These updates are compact enough that even on systems with a dial-up connection, updates can be automatically downloaded in a reasonable length of time.
To install Sophos:
- Go to mls.lds.org.
- Enter your unit number and password. If you don't have the password, contact the stake technology specialist.
- When the antivirus screen opens, click the Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software Installer link.
- When prompted, click run to begin the installation.
- If a security warning message appears stating that the publisher could not be verified, click the run button.
- When prompted, click the install button.
- When prompted, click the down arrow and select the correct country.
- When prompted, restart Windows.
- When the Sophos Endpoint Security and Control window opens, click the Scan my computer link to scan your computer.
Other links on the Sophos main window allow you to view the different scans that have been done, manage quarantine items, view the firewall log, configure updating, and view the updating log.
Help and other information is available through links on the left side of the screen.
To use Sophos:
- Click the Sophos shield icon in the system tray to open Sophos Endpoint Security and Control. window.
- Click the Scan my computer link to begin the scan.
- For additional help, click the Help topics on the left side of the screen.
Completing these updates will enable CHQ to better manage MLS clients as well as reduce and simplify stake technology specialists’ callings. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Local Unit Support.