Creating a nonmember record should always be done with care. Before creating the record, the clerk should obtain approval from the bishop and permission from the nonmember or nonmember’s spouse to proceed. The nonmember must be the spouse of a ward member and live within the boundaries of the ward.
Note: Sometimes during a membership Refresh Data the nonmember records may be deleted or removed from their households in MLS. Following these instructions should help avoid this problem.
Add a nonmember spouse
To properly organize a household with a nonmember spouse in MLS, do the following:
- From the main screen of MLS under the Membership Records box click on Individual Record.
- Locate the record of the member spouse, highlight, and click OK.
- On the member record click Current Spouse.
- In the Current Spouse section click Edit.
- Record the nonmember spouse's Name, Birthdate, Is a Member? (select No), Marriage Date and Marriage Place.
- For the nonmember spouse’s record to show as Spouse in the household, all this information must be included.
- If some of the information is already there, but incomplete, finish filling in the required data.
- If this information is already there, skip to step 9.
- Click Save.
- Refresh the record by clicking Close at the bottom and then go into the record again.
- After pulling up the record again, click on Current Spouse.
- At the top right of the Current Spouse section click on Add Spouse to Household.
- Clicking this link will add the nonmember spouse to the household and create a nonmember record. The male spouse will always default as the head-of-household.
- Click Close at the bottom. Under the Membership Records box click on Individual Record. Find the new nonmember record and open it. Check it for accuracy.
Correcting a household with a nonmember spouse
If a nonmember record has already been created and the nonmember spouse shows as Other in the household, you must remove the existing nonmember record to fix the household record. To remove the nonmember record do the following:
- From the main screen of MLS under the Membership -> Records -> Remove Nonmember.
- Select the nonmember record and click OK.
- Click Yes.
After these steps are complete, the clerk can now follow the steps on how to properly organize a household with a nonmember spouse in MLS.
For more detail concerning nonmember records go to clerk.lds.org and on the left of the page click on Training. Scroll to the bottom under Other Record-Keeping Information and click on MLS Software Manual. Information about nonmember records begins on page 11.