Migrating Work Item Types with TFS Power Tools
| This article is in a draft stage.|
This article gives step by step instructions on how to move Work Item Types (WITs) with Team Foundation Server (TFS) Power Tools.
- You need to download and install TFS Power Tools to get the Process Editor.
- Process Editor - An add-in to the Tools menu, the Process Editor provides a graphical user interface for editing Team Foundation Server process templates inside the Visual Studio IDE. This tool also provides a GUI for viewing the values assigned to all fields defined in a project collection.
- Launch Visual Studio 2010 and select Tools > Process Editor > Work Item Types > Export WIT to export the Work Item Type from the source Team Project:
- Select your Team Foundation Server and Team Project Collections (yours will be
- Select the Work Item Type (WIT) you want to export:
- Save it somewhere:
- Click Yes or No. See Defining Global Lists for what this does:
- Select the destination Team Project:
- Import the WIT you just exported:
- Select your destination team project, browse to the location and click OK:
- Your imported work item type will now be available with its various states in the destination TFS Team Project.