Deleting an Existing TFS Project
| This article is in a draft stage.|
Is this a project that was created before TFS 2010? Does this matter? This article provides instructions on how to delete a TFS Team Project.
Instructions for deleting automatically
You can use the
TfsDeleteProject application to do this. You can find this by opening a Visual Studio Command prompt, but its full path is usually something like
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\TFSDeleteProject.exe.
Team Foundation Delete Project Tool
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
TfsDeleteProject [/q] [/force] [/excludewss] /collection:<url> <team project name>
Deletes the Team Project from Team Foundation. To use this command, you must be a member of either the Team Foundation Server Administrators group or a member of the Project Administrators group for the project you are deleting. Use this command with caution because after deleting the team project it cannot be recovered.
[/q] - Do not prompt for confirmation.
[/force] - Continue even if some data cannot be deleted.
[/excludewss] - Exclude the project's SharePoint site when deleting the project. This option will leave the site intact so that it remains for other projects that may be using it.
/collection:<url> - The URL for a Team Project Collection.
<team project name> - The name of the project. Use quotes if there are spaces in the name.
Instructions for deleting manually
You need to check to see if there is a corresponding SharePoint Portal:
- Start a browser as Administrator.
- Navigate to https://teams.ldschurch.org/tfs/
- Select Site Actions > View All Site Content:
- This will render an alphabetically sorted list of SharePoint 2010 Portals.
- If there is one of those for the TFS 2010 project you are going to delete, select it.
- Select Site Actions > Site Settings.
- Under the Site Actions area, click on Delete this site.
- Next, RDP into one of the TFS App-Tier servers (w1576 / w1719 for internal, W1738 / W1778 for Community).
- Open Team Foundation Server Administrator Console.
- Select Team Project Collections and then the Team Projects tab.
- Select the TFS Project to be deleted and then click the red 'x' Delete button:
- Select the check boxes for Delete external artifacts and Delete workspace data:
- Click Delete.
- The State column will indicate that the project is being deleted:
- This external blog provides additional instructions on how to permanently delete a TFS Team Project.