Help for Church members (Maps)
Church members who have an LDS Account can sign in to LDS Maps and can then view a variety of information, including:
- Their location information (name, address, location, phone number, e-mail address).
- The location of other ward and stake members.
- Ward and stake boundaries for their stake, their ward, and other wards in the stake.
- The location of Church facilities assigned to their ward or stake.
- The location of other Church facilities worldwide.
- 1 General information
- 2 Visibility of member information
- 3 Verify your household location
- 4 View or hide your information
- 5 View a list of members in your ward or stake
- 6 Search for a member of your ward or stake
- 7 View a list of leaders in other wards
- 8 View boundaries and other non-public information
- 9 View member location icons
- 10 Household balloon
- 11 Household group balloon
- 12 Download GPS information
- 13 Update household information
Member information (name, address, location, phone number, e-mail address) is stored by the Church. The information can be accessed from LDS Maps, from the LDS.org directory, and by Local Church leaders who use the Member and Leader Services (MLS) software to maintain member information.
You can control whether other ward and stake members can view your name, address, phone number, and email address. To change that visibility:
- Click the icon for your location or click your name in the Directory.
- When the Edit Household window opens, click the box next to Do not show this household in ward & stake maps.
- To change other information, contact your ward leader or ward clerk and give him the correct information (he will make the changes in Member and Leader Services (MLS).
Visibility of member information
In many areas of the world, household location information is available to view for those who sign in to LDS Maps. However, in some areas of the world, member information is automatically hidden because of privacy laws. The member head of household or spouse must sign in to LDS Maps and make the information viewable to ward and stake members who sign in to LDS Maps. After signing in, Church members can view ward and stake boundaries and the location of other Church facilities not available to the public.
Information that Church members may be able to view includes:
- Their own household location on a map or satellite image.
- Their own address and contact information.
- The location of members in their ward and stake (except those who choose to hide their information).
- The address of members in their ward and stake.
- Lists of stake and ward leaders.
- Phone numbers and e-mail addresses, if available.
- Maps of their ward and stake.
Verify your household location
If your location has been verified by a ward leader, you cannot change the location. You must contact a ward leader to make that change.
If your household location has not been verified by a ward leader, do the following:
- Sign in to LDS Maps.
- Click on the icon for your household, or click on your name in the households list on the left side of the map. A box will open with your household information in it.
- Click the Move button and a Set Location box will open. This box contains information about your location.
- Click the icon for your location and drag it to the correct location.
- Or, navigate the map to the desired location, then click the Start Move button The cursor will become a cross-hair. Move the cross hair to the correct location.
- If the icon is in the wrong location, click Cancel in the Set Location box and follow steps 2 through 5 again to move it to the correct location.
- When the location is correct, click the Submit button in the Set Location box.
View or hide your information
The head of household or spouse can hide household information from other ward or stake members who sign in to LDS Maps or can make that information available. Household information will still be visible to local Church leaders and stake leaders who are authorized to view it.
To restrict the visibility of household information:
- Click on icon for your location or click your name in the Directory.
- When the information box with your name and location information opens, click the edit your profile link.
- The Directory will open with information about the head of household, spouse, and other household members.
- An Edit link appears beside each part of your location information.
- Click the Edit button and a box will open next to the location information.
- Click the appropriate button beside Private – Leadership Only, Ward, or Stake. Instructions in the box identify who will be able to see your information with each selection.
In some areas of the world data privacy laws require that member information be automatically hidden from other Church members unless the head of the household or spouse chooses to make it available. To make household information available, follow steps 1 through 6 above to select what information to be visible to other Church members.
View a list of members in your ward or stake
To view a list of members in your ward or stake:
- If the list of Households is not visible on the left side of the map, click the My Ward and Stake link at the bottom right side of the map.
- When the list appears, click the arrow next to the ward or branch or stake or district name, and a list containing the stake or district or ward or branch names will open.
- Click Entire Stake or District, or click the name of a ward or branch in the list. Icons for all households in the ward or stake will appear on the map.
Note: Not all member location icons may appear on a map.
- Church members can choose to hide their icons and other location information from other ward and stake members.
- In some countries, privacy laws require that member location information be hidden from other Church members unless the head of household takes action to make the information visible on LDS Maps.
- Stake and ward leaders can view all information for members in their stake or ward.
Search for a member of your ward or stake
Church members who sign in to LDS Maps can search for an adult member of their ward or stake. To do that, enter a first or last name in the search field at the top of the Households list.
Information for members who choose to hide their information from other ward members will not be visible. In some countries, privacy laws require that all location information is to be automatically hidden.
Note: Searching for the member’s last name will return a list of all those with the same last name. Click on the member's name in the list to view the member’s location on the map and location information. Searching for a member by his or her first name may not return a full list of all members with the same first name if some first names have been abbreviated. You can also click the Driving Directions link to get driving directions to the member’s location.
View a list of leaders in other wards
Ward and stake members who sign in to LDS Maps can view a directory of leaders of a ward in their stake. The information in these directories comes from the Member and Leader Services (MLS) software used by wards to maintain membership information. If ward leaders do not keep leadership information updated in MLS, it will not be updated in LDS Maps or the LDS.org directory.
If ward leaders choose to hide their location information from other ward members, it will not be included in the ward leadership directory.
To view a directory of leaders for a ward:
- Click the Directory link in LDS Maps, and you will be taken to the Directory in LDS.org.
- Click the dropdown arrow to see a list of wards, branches, or the stake.
- Click Stake Information or the name of a ward or branch and a list of organizations in the stake, ward, or branch will appear below the name.
- Click on the organization to view the leaders.
View boundaries and other non-public information
Church members who sign in to LDS Maps can view a variety of information that is not available to the general public. This includes:
- Your ward boundaries.
- Your stake boundaries.
- Boundaries of all wards in the stake.
- Other facilities such as bishops' storehouses, canneries, and home storage centers.
To view boundaries, households, or facilities:
- Click the Map Layers icon on the Navigation Controls.
- When the Layers box opens, click the arrow next to Households, Facilities, or Boundaries to open a complete list of what is available for viewing.
- Click the check box next to the type of facilities or boundaries you want to see, and the icon or boundaries will appear on the map.
- Click the X at the top of the Layers or click the Layers icon to close it.
- To view information about a household or facility, click the icon, and an information box will open.
You can search for an address, city, or specific facility by typing information into the Search box at the top of the list of members on the left side of the screen.
View member location icons
If members have chosen to allow ward and stake members to view their location information on LDS Maps, you can see their location icons on the map. The icons represent the following:
- Verified locations
- Unverified locations
- Member verified locations
- Approximate locations
- Unmapped locations
To change which icons are visible, click the Map Options icon on the Navigation Controls.
When the Map Options box opens, click the Show or Hide button in the Location Status section to either show or hide the different household status icons.
When you click a household icon or on a household name on the list of households, a balloon opens and you can see details about the household. That information may include:
- Telephone number.
- E-mail address (clicking this link opens your e-mail application).
To view more information, including other members of the household, click the Directory link in the balloon. Information is viewable only by you and members of your ward or stake who have created an LDS Account and who have signed in to LDS Maps. You can hide your information from other ward and stake members. In some areas of the world, information for all households is automatically hidden.
If local leaders have not Verified locations the location of the household, a warning also appears. The head of household can verify the location of the household icon by moving it to the correct location. However, ward leaders still must verify the location. If the address is incorrect, contact ward leaders to correct it. If other information is incorrect, the head of household or the spouse can update the household phone number, household e-mail address, individual phone numbers, and picture for themselves or any of their children who are under 18. Household members who are over the age of 18 must update their own information. If you do not want to correct your information, give the correct information to a ward leader to make the change.
To change your information in the directory:
- Sign in to LDS Maps.
- Click the Directory link just above the list of members.
- When the Directory opens, find your household name in the list of names and click on it.
- When the window opens with your household information in it, click the Edit link.
- Click Edit next to the information you want to change.
- Make the changes.
- Click the Save button.
Note: You can determine who can see information about you and your family by clicking the buttons next to Private – Leadership Only, Ward, or Stake. A statement appears that explains who will be able to see the information. In some areas, the Private – Leadership Only button is checked and all information is hidden from members of the ward and stake.
Balloons for groups of households (such as apartment buildings or homes with more than one family group) just list the names of the different groups living at that location.
There is also a directions link that allows you to get directions to the location.
ward leader have additional rights to edit household information and to change the location of household icons on maps and satellite images.
Household group balloon
Households may be grouped together in one location for several reasons. Groupings include:
- Locations where two or more households live at the same location, such as a family where adult children live with parents.
- Apartment buildings where several member households live.
- Several households that have been grouped by ward leaders.
When you click on an icon for a group, a balloon opens with information about the group. The balloon lists the names of households in the group.
The group name and address or description are maintained by local ward leaders. Contact them to report errors or if you have questions.
To see details about an individual household, click on a household name in a balloon or a household name in the list in the left-hand panel. To collapse household information, click the household name again.
If local leaders have not verified the location of the household, a warning appears.
You can choose to list households alphabetically or by numbers that are assigned to the households by LDS Maps. If you have chosen to number households on the map for reference, the group is labeled with the range of household numbers in the group.
To get directions to the location, click the Directions link.
Ward leaders have additional rights to edit household information and to change the location of household icons on maps and satellite images.
Download GPS information
LDS Maps allows you to download a file that contains household information for those in your ward and stake. I some areas, this feature is unavailable because of privacy laws.
Remember, information is for Church use. It should not be used for business, commercial, or political purposes and should not be posted on any website.
The file format is .csv (comma separated values), which can be opened by spreadsheet programs. Maps are not downloaded.
The file can also be uploaded into a global positioning satellite (GPS) device.
Information downloaded includes:
- Household name.
- Address-1 (street address).
- Address-2 (city name).
- Address-3 (state name).
- Address-4 (postal code).
- Location-Status (verified, unverified, unmapped, and so on).
To download a file containing household information:
- At the top of the membership list, click the Download link. .
- Follow the instructions to open or save the file. The file can be opened by most spreadsheet applications.
You can open the file with a spreadsheet application and format the data for use in a specific GPS device. If you plan to upload the file into a specific GPS device, review the device's file format requirements.
Update household information
The head of household and his or her spouse can update the telephone numbers, email addresses, and visibility of household information. Single members over 18 living with parents can update same information.
To change telephone numbers, email addresses, or visibility of information:
- Click on the Directory icon to the left of the map.
- When the Directory opens, click on your household name in the list of names.
- When the window opens with your information, click Edit .
- Click Edit next to the name of the person whose information is to be changed.
- When the edit information window opens with the personal information, enter the updated phone number or email address in the space available. To change the visibility, click the button next to the appropriate visibility. An explanation of who will be able to view the information appears at the bottom of the window.
- Click Save to save the changes.