Gospel Library support - Android old versions
This page contains content related to older versions of Gospel Library.
Version 1.2 and older - April 21, 2011
- 1 Known issues
- 2 Troubleshooting
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 How to request help
- 5 Additional information
- Gospel Library for Android v1.2 is not compatible with Android OS 3.0 (honeycomb). Version 2.0 will have this fixed.
- Some users are reporting that with version 1.2 the app force closes when doing a search. This is caused by a corrupt index that can be fixed by forcing the app to download the content and index again. See the Troubleshooting section for instructions.
- Content cannot currently be added to Gospel Library. The development team is working on a solution that will allow users to select the content to add. It is anticipated that we will have the change available before the end of the year.
- Some Android Tablets are having problems displaying the text of the books in Gospel Library. The issue is being investigated.
- Trying to install the app and download the database while church servers are undergoing maintenance causes various errors that prevent the app from running. Solution is to wait until servers are available again and install app again. Servers are usually available next business day at the latest. Errors include the following:
- Content cannot dowload
- Unrecognized content
App force closes when performing a search
This problem is caused by a corrupt index. This appears to be caused by the index not unzipping properly or the download of the index being interrupted. This can be fixed by forcing the app to download the content and index again.
- Access the content of your SD card
- Use an app that acts as a file explorer to access the content of your SD card
- Access the phone settings and change the default connection type to "Disk Drive" (Menu | Settings | Connect to PC). Connect your device to your computer and the SD card will be viewed as a removable disk drive that you can access with your computer's file explorer.
- Change the name of the folder "ldssa"
- Start the app again. The app will download the content and the index again
- If you connected the phone to you computer to change the name of the folder, you must disconnect your phone prior to starting the app again.
- If all goes well, the search functionality should now work
NOTE: When version 2.0 is released, it will enable users to add content to or remove it from the library. Changes in the app that will enable this functionality will eliminate the need for a downloaded index and this problem should no longer occur. Because of the number of resources being used to complete 2.0, we will not be implementing a fix for the current problem. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there plans to add additional content to Gospel Library?
We are currently reworking Gospel Library for Android to allow the user to select from a list of scriptures, books, magazines, manuals, hymns, and general conferences they would like to download. This will allow the user to access our large library of resources of their choosing. This will be released no later than early 2011.
How do I highlight?
Currently only verses can be highlighted. This can be done by tapping the verse number. A dialog box will open allowing you to select a color to highlight the selection with.
Why is the content different between my mobile version and the book version?
Thanks for your concern. However, the online and digital version of the scripture text is the current, accurate, and approved version. You can check the header of Isaiah 40 and compare it to the book version for an example. Content is updated from time to time to help improve the readability of the books. Please share this information with those you are reading with.
How do I delete a bookmark?
Long press the bookmark you wish to delete. A modal window will pop up with an option to delete.
How do I move forward and backward from chapter to chapter?
Simply swipe the screen from the right to left side of the screen to advance forward to the next chapter. A swipe from left to right will take you back a chapter. You can also press the menu key and press the left or right arrow.
How to request help
If you can't find the answer to your problem or if you've found a new bug with Gospel Library for Android, please email us at email@example.com. You can also post questions (and see questions and answers from others) on the online help forum for Gospel Library for Android.
- If you have installed a pre-release developer's version of Gospel Library for Android on your device, you will need to uninstall the pre-release version before you can install the released version from the Market. From your home screen, choose menu | Settings | Applications | Manage applications. Then select the Gospel Library application and choose Uninstall. You should now be able to install the Market version.
- Note that this app stores the scriptures database on your external SD card in a folder called ldssa (for most devices the full path will be /sdcard/ldssa). If you choose to uninstall the app, the scriptures database remains on your SD card until you remove it manually.
- To read more about Gospel Library for Android and to see screen shots and a screencast, please visit the Gospel Library for Android project page.