These instructions are being left intact for units in other parts of the world, but please be aware that the username/password used for downloading updates from authentium.com no longer works.
Instructions for updating the command antivirus program
Virus Protection: Local unit computers must have approved antivirus protection.
- An authorized computer specialist should periodically verify that antivirus updates are enabled each time the computer connects to the Church's network.
- Updates to antivirus software can be obtained by downloading from the vendor's website at www.authentium.com.
"Authorized computer specialist" means the stake technology specialist.
Below is some documentation about how to take care of downloading the antivirus program and the associated definition files.
At least monthly, go to http://www.authentium.com/mainv2/updates.asp to check for a new version of the software and to download the latest virus definition files.
If you follow the link above, you will go right to where you need to go. However, web sites change so if there is a problem with the link, just go to www.authentium.com and poke around until you find the right place. Look for Customer Support and Download and Authentium keywords. You want to download antivirus files for workstations or clients running Windows in a home/small business environment.
Here is a step-by-step description of how to do the download once you have followed the link described above:
- Follow the link above
- Scroll down to the Home/Small Business heading.
- Check the file date for Command Antivirus for Home/Small Business. If it is more recent than the current version you have installed, you should download it.
- Download the latest virus definition file.
You just click on the appropriate download link(s) to download the file(s). A file download dialog box will pop up where you will be asked to log in. The ID and password are available from CHQ or from a fellow clerk and will not be posted here. Save the file to a removable device so you can transport it to the Church computers.
At this point, you will need to take the files you have downloaded to each unit's computers and install them.
Installing the antivirus software
If you are installing a new version of the antivirus program (which you should to periodically to keep up on the latest updates), then you should follow these steps:
- On the Church computer, uninstall the old version of the antivirus software. To do this, click on Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. When the list of programs comes up, select the antivirus program, then click the Remove button. When following the prompts to uninstall, you don't need to erase everything. Since you are not really removing the product, you may leave the files listed in the dialog box that pops up.
- Insert the media where you have the new program and run the executable. Follow the prompts to let it set itself up.
- Once it is set up and running, follow the directions below to install the new virus definition files.
Updating the virus definition files
If you are installing a new version of the virus definition files (which you should do at least monthly), then you should follow these steps:
- On your own computer, before you copy the file over to the Church computer, run the downloaded executable (DEFMSP.EXE) which will unload the definition file update program which is a Windows Installer Patch file. The file name will be six digits followed by msp (e.g., 070211.msp). This file should be copied or moved to removable media.
- On the Church computer, copy the .msp file from the removable media to the C:\program files\authentium\command antivirus directory.
- After you have copied the file, double-click it to execute it. The patch will run and update the antivirus definition files.
If you try running the definition file patch without copying it to the directory with the antivirus program, you will get a message asking you to insert an install disk.