The Maps feature on LDS.org has been updated, and the Church needs volunteers to try out the new features of the 3.0 version.
The new features in 3.0 make it easier to search and navigate the maps. Some of these new features include the following:
- Single line search by address, city, church facility name, or unit name
- New map layers for seminaries, announced temples, temples under renovation/construction, and tabernacles
- Icons for LDS places (meetinghouses, temples, family search centers, etc.) and member households
- Directions to and from locations/addresses, facilities, and member homes using public transit, biking, and walking (where supported)
- Geo-location (“Show My Location”) based on GPS identification
- Street View availability
- Hi-resolution image display for Church temples
- Integration with the LDS.org calendar for local event display
- Ability to share a map link via e-mail and social networking sites
Joining the Local Unit Application Beta Testing Project
To get involved in beta testing the map feature, volunteers should join the Local Unit Application Beta Testing project. To join the project:
- From LDSTech.org, sign in with your LDS Account user name and password.
- Click Projects in the top navigation bar.
- Under Available Projects, search for Local Unit Application Beta Testing.
- Click Local Unit Application Beta Testing.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Join.
Joining the project allows project managers to contact you with more information about testing, not only for maps but other local unit applications as well.
Beta Testing Scenarios
Once you join the project, go to the Maps beta site at http://lds.org/rcmaps and complete the following tasks:
- Use the search field to do the following:
- Search for addresses and locations
- Search for units by name (wards, stakes, etc.)
- Search for facilities by name (temples, family search centers, etc.)
- Use the My Ward and Stake feature to do the following:
- View households in your ward and stake
- Move/verify households (for ward clerks and bishops)
- Get directions between your house and your (or a different) meetinghouse/temple/another member's home
- Share a map link via e-mail, Twitter, Facebook, or Delicious
To give feedback on the results of your testing, go to the LDSTech Maps forum.
You can also see the wiki page for more information.