I sent a request to the church asking for an online application to build ward bulletins using the same system the Ward Website program does. It would be wonderful to be able to go to the database driven page, fill in the boxes and print. The application could pull information from the Church database for:
- Member birthdays
- Church Art for the front page
- Next week's lesson number and title
- Hymns and page number
- The Primary Theme
- Ward Calendar
- Clip art for children to color
- Scriptures and Quotes from Church Leaders
- Ward Meeting Schedule
Other features could include:
- Boxes where users could type in their own information such as missionary addresses, announcements, the meeting scedule, etc.
- Choice of fonts
- Word games for children
- The ability to upload their own images.
I build my ward bulletin with Corel Draw and have copied an pasted hymns, lessons, birthdays, quotes and images I found on lds.org into the work area. Then I just select the parts I need and drag them onto the page. This isn't possible for the average bulletin creator because it is a very expensive program and requires training. Some people don't have MS Word either. I think the website idea would be easy for everyone! A computer, the internet and a printer would be all that is necessary. They could even use the ward computer.
I am a webmaster but not capable of building such an advanced application. I hope the Church will use their resources to do so.