Unmapped Locations

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bspittle wrote:If that method works, then my next obvious question is if there is some way of automatically refreshing the data for the entire Stake, rather than having to open up each record. I'm not going to be much support to having the ward clerks go through and do this in all 11 units.....
That would only make sense if relatively few addresses were verified, since that would have the effect of unverifying all locations, correct or not. In my stake, what you propose would be a disaster, since over 90% of the addresses are accurately verified. This process would only need to be followed for members that moved into the ward since their address was last verified. I realize that some stakes are highly transient, but resetting the verified locations seems like a very drastic approach.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bspittle

Post by bspittle »

aebrown wrote:That would only make sense if relatively few addresses were verified, since that would have the effect of unverifying all locations, correct or not. In my stake, what you propose would be a disaster, since over 90% of the addresses are accurately verified. This process would only need to be followed for members that moved into the ward since their address was last verified. I realize that some stakes are highly transient, but resetting the verified locations seems like a very drastic approach.
Not likely drastic in our case because the data is generally not mapping. This is a breakdown from a year ago:

Verified 12
Member Verified 2
Unmapped 1382
Unverified 720
Verified 42
Total 2158
bspittle

Post by bspittle »

They key for me is finding out why 64% of all addresses in the Stake showed up as UNMAPPED. This suggests a problem with the Mapping program since my random samples of actual MLS address data are fine.
thisma

Re: Unmapped Locations

Post by thisma »

I'm noticing similar ratios of unmapped to maped addresses in my local unit in another stake in BC. It's very frustrating. Does anyone have a solution that doesn't require nagging the clerk to take on the somewhat large task of manually resetting every member's address in the unit? By the way I would happily do the few hundred myself sadly... or perhaps happily, I'm not appropriately privileged.

-Joshua
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

No. Only clerks can fix it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

I believe that members can verify their own household location. Perhaps a ward/stake wide initiative to have each member household set/verify their own household location would reduce the workload on ward clerks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rontilby wrote:I believe that members can verify their own household location.
My understanding is that yes, a member can, until a clerk touches it. After that, the member can no longer change it.

This is true if a member moves within the ward, and from what I have read, in many cases this is also true if the member moves to another ward. Once a clerk touches it, the member is out of the picture. I understand this to be a bug, but I believe that is the way it works, at least for now.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

What lajackson says is correct. A household that shows either as unmapped or unverified can be verified by the head of household or the spouse of the HoH. I am not certain, but member verification of the household location may also be accomplished by adult members of the household. I just have not been able to confirm this.

The unmapped icon displayed with the household name in the Maps directory is this Image icon. The unverified household location marker is this Image icon while the icon displayed on with the household name on the Maps directory is just the yellow triangle with the exclamation point.

When a member of a household verifies the household location, the map location marker displays the blue "member verified" Image icon. The icon displayed in the Maps directory for the household name is just the blue circle part of the icon.

Once the household location is verified by an administrator it can no longer be "member verified". There are two icons that indicate an administrator has verified the household location the first is the "exact location" icon Image. There is no icon displayed in the Maps directory of households for a location that is verified as an exact location. The other verified icon is the "approximate location" icon Image. The icon displayed in the Maps directory of households for an approximate location is the yellow box with the double tilde.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rharwood

Post by rharwood »

I am the Ward Clerk and am trying to verify a household location on the maps. I am selecting the household and then selecting edit on the pop up box. However, it is not giving me the drop down box options to verify the location. I have been able to verify locations with the other households in the ward but as of this week the pop up box won't give me the drop down boxes to verify the location. I have tried this on two different computers using IE9 and am not able to verify the households. Has a change to the maps been made recently?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rharwood wrote: I am selecting the household and then selecting edit on the pop up box.
The "Edit" link is to edit the emergency response categories. To verify a location click the "Move" link. The "Set Location" dialogue will appear at the top of the Maps households directory. Click the "Start Move" button to proceed with the move operation.
rharwood wrote:Has a change to the maps been made recently?
Yes. In testing the move procedure for this post I noticed some changes in the process and in the dialogue for moving the marker. Before, there was an option to either move the marker or to mark the location with a cross-hair cursor. Now the only option is to mark the location.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”