LDSTech

Roughing in the 881

Discuss various issues around providing Internet access to meetinghouses.

Moderators: MarchantRR, SheffieldTR

Roughing in the 881

#1Postby aclawson » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:29 pm

The WAPs are going to be delivered to the building a bit sooner than the internet connection so I may as well work on figuring out where to put them. Out of the box, if I plug one in will it immediately activate a generic AP? If it does then I can place them on the floor in the hall and move them around until I can get a decent idea of where the holes are going to be drilled in the ceiling. Even better if I can use my laptop to play around with channeling and experiment until I find the best configuration.
aclawson

#2Postby russellhltn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:43 pm

aclawson wrote:Out of the box, if I plug one in will it immediately activate a generic AP?

No, it doesn't. It has to access the church servers to configure itself. (I tried)
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

#3Postby harddrive » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:01 am

It will take about 20 minutes for the 881W, but the 1041n will be done in about 5 to 10 minutes
harddrive

#4Postby russellhltn » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:37 am

I found the Cisco equipment doesn't seem all that much more powerful then standard home devices. If you've got a spare Wireless Router, you can use that to get some ideas as to how far the signal will go in your building.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

#5Postby aclawson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:13 am

In some spots that would be about 30 feet - and that is with the most powerful wireless access point ever sold to consumers. Reinforced cinderblock and a wall of ductwork + a 20' fire curtain do not leave me with the best possible environment.
aclawson

Return to Meetinghouse Internet