Amateur / Ham Radio Group?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
RyanGard1977

Re: Amateur / Ham Radio Group?

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Welcome to the hobby, Matt. You need to join a local club. There really are no LDS ham groups that I know of so just get with a good local group. The ARRL website is a great place to start, but here is a link from that site that you can use to search for clubs near you.

https://www.arrl.org/find-a-club
Ryan Gardner
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RyanGard1977 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:07 pm There really are no LDS ham groups that I know of
I'd suggest checking with your ward or stake Emergency Prep person. If there is a LDS group in the area, they'd know about it.

There are different kinds of groups so you may have to look around. Some are more HF (long distance) and contesting, while others are more VHF/UHF repeater oriented. Yet others are more into emergency preparedness/ARES/RACES. You'll need to find one that matches your interests.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

For awhile a number of years ago where I live we had a few good leaders who ran a monthly sunday night simplex net along the front range of Colorado and 2 Denver area based LDS nets on local repeaters. Ward and Stake emergency prep leaders/members were encouraged to get their license and participate. It was fun to be a part of, but things died out over time, members moved, passed away, or just lost interest and the nets stopped. There was equipment and antennas set up at the Denver storehouse and Colorado Springs storehouse (some antennas still remain) and even a repeater at one time at the Denver Storehouse with it's antenna on top of one of the grain silos. The church frowns upon installing radio antennas and equipment at the meetinghouses.
Ryan Gardner
Matthew75

Post by Matthew75 »

I now have a Kenwood 570 sg and learning too use it,
Still learning. I can use eco link and do so . I now have my
General and working on my extra. Help for me is kind of on
my own but improving.
solson

Post by solson »

Hi Matt,
Have you you looked into local amateur radio clubs or emergency communications groups? If nothing is local, QRZ.com and other online forums can be helpful.
Thanks,
Steve

Return to “General Discussions”