Chromebooks; Google Drive and Gmail

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
klarkwalker

Chromebooks; Google Drive and Gmail

Post by klarkwalker »

Our stake recently received several Chromebooks to replace the SFF computers in the clerk offices. These were purchased from CDW, so they were already enrolled with the Church management, and setting them up was a relatively simple process. However, there is a limitation in that ward and stake clerk accounts on the Chromebooks are not permitted to access Google Drive or Gmail (see below), yet the default Guest account can access them without any issues. This creates some inconvenience and has led to a few complaints from the clerks, as they are required to logout of their accounts and switch to the Guest account if they need to access documents on Drive or access to their emails. While I understand that the restriction is likely implemented for security reasons, it's noteworthy that the Guest account explicitly mentions that "churchofjesuschrist.org manages this device and has access to all user activity, including webpages visited, passwords, and email." This, in itself, provides a compelling reason why some ward clerks refuse to log into the Guest account. Consequently, this whole Chromebook situation has become a source of frustration for a few clerks.

Could someone provide additional clarification or information on this matter?

My apologies if this has already been addressed in the tech wiki or the forum somewhere and I have simply missed it.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 1.46.02 PM.png
BrianEdwards

Re: Chromebooks; Google Drive and Gmail

Post by BrianEdwards »

I understand the convenience of accessing Google apps (or other cloud docs) via the clerk computer, we do it quite regularly. But is there anything which truly requires that access, that couldn't be done via a personal laptop instead of using the clerk's computer? If somebody has issues with the clerk account, they should be able to do everything via a personal device, connect to a printer, LCR, LCRF, whatever. And then solely use the clerk computer for church stuff that wouldn't need private Google access.

Definitely a step-back from a user perspective, and I'm not aware if the Church has officially stated anything on this regard. We've all definitely grown accustomed to using the clerk computer on Sundays for all-purpose access.
KirbyDM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by KirbyDM »

All good feedback.

The Church does not collect any information other than usage information like usage time, last connection, user email if signed in, etc.
The Church does not collect usernames and passwords as various sites are visited.
All of the information collected by the Chromebook during a guest session is erased when the session is closed.

You can access your personal Gmail account even if you are logged into the Chromebook using a personal account by following the instructions on the attached PDF.

Your friendly Church Computer Product Manager
Attachments
Clerk Chromebook - Using Personal Google Applications.pdf
(165.03 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:55 am they should be able to do everything via a personal device, connect to a printer,
It depends on how the printer is set up. I've not seen anything that suggests it should be one way or another. If it's strictly USB, that's going to be an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
klarkwalker

Post by klarkwalker »

BrianEdwards wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:55 am I understand the convenience of accessing Google apps (or other cloud docs) via the clerk computer, we do it quite regularly. But is there anything which truly requires that access, that couldn't be done via a personal laptop instead of using the clerk's computer?
Without question! However, there are two clerks that I'm aware of that do not own a personal laptop and one of them I know takes notes the old-fashioned way (pen and paper), and later puts them into Docs either on the ward computer or on his home PC. He's looking forward to saving time by using the Chromebook.
klarkwalker

Post by klarkwalker »

KirbyDM wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:10 pm All good feedback.

The Church does not collect any information other than usage information like usage time, last connection, user email if signed in, etc.
The Church does not collect usernames and passwords as various sites are visited.
All of the information collected by the Chromebook during a guest session is erased when the session is closed.

You can access your personal Gmail account even if you are logged into the Chromebook using a personal account by following the instructions on the attached PDF.

Your friendly Church Computer Product Manager
Thank you for this document. Greatly appreciated!

Return to “Clerk Computers”