Sound System confused: cultural hall, chapel, and primary

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
ejehlers

Sound System confused: cultural hall, chapel, and primary

Post by ejehlers »

I am the STS in my stake. I don't know how long this has been an issue. Until recently I not aware of any problem, but of late using the microphone in the cultural hall has produced sound from the speakers in the Primary room (in addition to the cultural hall speakers). As I was trying to trouble shoot, I noticed that when the cultural hall mics are off, the Primary room sometimes receives the audio from the chapel pulpit.

I am pretty certain this is not caused by the mic or cable. I have swapped out microphones and cables from the Primary pulpit to the wall, and I am confident in the performance of this said hardware in other spots in the building.

I've reviewed this page recently -- which assures me the Primary room sound should operate independently from both the cultural hall and the chapel -- but changing the source setting doesn't appear to change this phenomenon.

Is there further trouble shooting I can do? Or will I need to contact FMG?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Sound System confused: cultural hall, chapel, and primary

Post by lajackson »

ejehlers wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:20 pm . . . the Primary room sound should operate independently from both the cultural hall and the chapel -- but changing the source setting doesn't appear to change this phenomenon.

. . . will I need to contact FMG?
There should be a selector in the Primary room to determine whether the sound source will be local (the Primary room microphone) or the chapel. If you cannot select or are getting cultural hall sound, I think something is amiss.

Other than the selector switch or panel, these types of settings are only done by a contractor to the FM Group.

I would totally remove power from the sound system and then allow it to reboot. If that does not solve the problem, I would submit an FIR to the FM Group. Some FM Groups will tell you not to interrupt sound system power. If you receive that instruction, follow it.

And if you find that rebooting the system solves the problem, I would still submit an FIR to the FM Group to explain what the problem was before and that a reboot solved the problem. The FM Group may still send a technician, because something went wrong that caused the need for the reboot, and they would like to find it.
dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

lajackson is correct in that the FM group after rebooting and the problem persisting should be engaged. All meetinghouses that I have seen with a chapel overflow and a cultural center separated by accordion folding doors are designed to have the audio flow from the chapel rearward depending on the configuration of the doors. Their are IR sensors near the ceiling slightly offset from center that senses if the door is open. If you open the overflow door now the overflow get's audio. if you open the cultural center door then the cultural center get's the chapel audio. Audio from the cultural center should not flow in the opposite direction toward the chapel. Chapel audio is designed to flow from the chapel to other rooms such as the foyer, children's meeting room, mothers lounge and RS room. For the children's meeting room there is a selector switch to select local audio source or chapel audio source.

Please post here what the resolution was. Also was your system recently installed?
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

You likely have a switch like this in the primary room. It should be on Local Mic or in the middle for off.
If it is in the local microphone setting and you are still getting chapel audio the either the switch is wired up wrong, or has worn out or wiring issues somewhere else, and the FM Group needs to be notified to send a contractor out with sound system experience. Let me know if this helps, or if you have a different type of switch. should be the same for the RS Room.

https://www.emtechelectronics.com/produ ... ols/msc-s/
Ryan Gardner
mevans

Post by mevans »

I'm late to the discussion. You've probably solved the problem by now, but if not...the newer systems are very programmable. You might not even have a mechanical switch in the Primary Room. Sometimes programming could be done for convenience. For example, if the "local microphone" option is off in the Primary Room, and the sound system is off in the Chapel, then the "overflow" option in other rooms may receive sound from the Cultural Hall. This can be very helpful in situations where there's a program in the cultural hall and some participants are waiting in other rooms...or even mothers in the Mothers' Room who want to hear it. I think our stake center works that way.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

For the latest QSC systems, for areas like the Primary room or RS room, where there is a zone selector switch, they have reverted back to the old school rocker switch to where top is chapel, middle is off, and bottom selection is local audio (room microphone) and a rotary attenuator/volume control knob. They remove any of the digital room control stuff that might have been installed between the late 90s/early 2000's up till recently that used network cables vs several sets of wires. We saw a lot of failures of the digital network cable controlled stuff, which isn't to say they still don't utilize the network cables for the new cultural hall and chapel audio controls, just not in the RS, Primary, and sometimes other rooms.
Ryan Gardner

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”