Sealing Cancellation Notice

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.

Sealing Cancellation Notice

#1Postby bradweech » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:38 am

A member is divorced from his first wife who was sealed to him in the temple. Recently, she has remarried and has been sealed to her new husband. This brother inquired if he was to receive some written acknowledgment that this has been done and that is he no longer sealed to his former wife. Anyone know the answer to this?
bradweech
New Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:26 pm
Location: United States

#2Postby jdlessley » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:39 am

BradWeech wrote:A member is divorced from his first wife who was sealed to him in the temple. Recently, she has remarried and has been sealed to her new husband. This brother inquired if he was to receive some written acknowledgment that this has been done and that is he no longer sealed to his former wife. Anyone know the answer to this?
Sealing policies are covered in the Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 1, 2006, p 84-87. Since a man does not need to have a sealing cancellation but only a sealing clearance from the First Presidency before being sealed to anther woman I can see no reason why he should be notified that his former wife has had their sealing cancelled or received a sealing clearance for sealing to another man.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org RKATS page or the LDSTech wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators
 
Posts: 5769
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

#3Postby russellhltn » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:50 am

jdlessley wrote:Since a man does not need to have a sealing cancellation but only a sealing clearance from the First Presidency before being sealed to anther woman I can see no reason why he should be notified that his former wife has had their sealing cancelled or received a sealing clearance for sealing to another man.


Withing reading the reference, I beg to differ. While the man may not need to know in order to get sealed to another woman, he should be notified if his only sealing is now canceled and he is no longer sealed to anyone. I see that as a significant change of status.

However, I do not know the answer to the original question.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
 
Posts: 15282
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#4Postby RossEvans » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:58 am

BradWeech wrote:A member is divorced from his first wife who was sealed to him in the temple. Recently, she has remarried and has been sealed to her new husband. This brother inquired if he was to receive some written acknowledgment that this has been done and that is he no longer sealed to his former wife. Anyone know the answer to this?


The member's Individual Ordinance Summary contains a field "Sealed to Former Spouse" if applicable. It will say "Yes" or "No."

The IOS may be provided by clerks to members. We routinely do so at tithing settlement.
RossEvans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: Austin TX

#5Postby lajackson » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:37 pm

RussellHltn wrote:. . . he should be notified if his only sealing is now canceled and he is no longer sealed to anyone. I see that as a significant change of status.


At the time the former wife requests a cancellation of her sealing, he will be asked to write a letter, so he should be aware that the request is being processed. His membership record will be updated if/when the sealing is canceled. He can view this on his IOS.

Other than that, while the event may be a change of status, it really has no effect on the brother, unless he was hoping to get his marriage back together.
lajackson
Community Moderators
 
Posts: 4247
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Personal Experience

#6Postby johnshaw » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:38 am

When I was in this situation I received a letter informing me of the cancellation.
User avatar
johnshaw
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Re: Sealing Cancellation Notice

#7Postby epcoppin » Wed May 08, 2013 8:27 am

When a sealing cancellation has been requested by a woman (and approved), the Office of the First Presidency will always send a letter to her ex-husband, informing him of this action. This assumes that they have a current address for him.
epcoppin
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:25 am


Return to Membership Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests