MLS 3.0 Issue: First item in selection lists

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mfmohlma

MLS 3.0 Issue: First item in selection lists

Post by mfmohlma »

I ran into a minor issue yesterday processing donations. First, I clicked on the Ward Missionary category. Secondly, I chose the magifying glass to choose which Ward Missionary category. I clicked on the category that happened to be the first category in the list. The top box was not populated with the category name, as it had done in previous versions. I clicked a couple of more times without anything appearing in the top box. Backing out to try again, I clicked OK, and immediately upon doing so, the chosen category appeared in the category box next to the "0.00". It being Father's Day, I didn't feel the urge to debug further. :)

Even more curiously, I had other donations that followed this path, but chose categories further down in the list, and they worked fine (both in Ward Missionary and Other).
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Hmmm, that sounds like it might be a failure to update the display. Here's a hunch: When you click on the category, the internal data structures record it, but the display is not updated to show that event until you do something else that causes a display update. That's an easy bug to make. Does that match the symptoms?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

A display update failure is exactly what I was thinking in this case. Not a fatal bug by any means, just confusing.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Login Issue

Post by jdlessley »

This is a minor login issue.

When logging into MLS, if the magnifying glass is used to select a username (mouse operation), the first username on the list will not appear in the 'Find user in list:' text box to confirm the selected username. If, however, another username is selected (second or any other username other than the first one using the mouse) that username appears in the text box. When the first username is once again selected with the mouse it will not appear in the text box. Instead the previously selected username remains displayed. If the keyboard up/down arrows are used the selected username appears in the text box - including the first username on the list. Regardless of this display of username in the texbox problem, the username selected is the one that will appear in the 'Username' text box on the login screen.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

jdlessley wrote:This is a minor login issue.

When logging into MLS, if the magnifying glass is used to select a username (mouse operation), the first username on the list will not appear in the 'Find user in list:' text box to confirm the selected username. If, however, another username is selected (second or any other username other than the first one using the mouse) that username appears in the text box. When the first username is once again selected with the mouse it will not appear in the text box. Instead the previously selected username remains displayed. If the keyboard up/down arrows are used the selected username appears in the text box - including the first username on the list. Regardless of this display of username in the texbox problem, the username selected is the one that will appear in the 'Username' text box on the login screen.
This sounds exactly like the issue I just reported above. I propose we call it "Mouse-selected first item in magnifying glass list does not populate selection textbox." :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

oregonmatt wrote:This sounds exactly like the issue I just reported above. I propose we call it "Mouse-selected first item in magnifying glass list does not populate selection textbox." :)
Clever title, but I chose not to use it, and not because it's too long. You can show the same problem without ever using the mouse. If you tab to the list box and start using the arrow keys, the first item in the list will not populate the text box.

If you ever get in a state where the item in the text box is selected (highlighted), then moving through the list box will cause even the first item to appear. This seems to be a problem in every selection list box I tried.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

This bug still exists in the released 3.0 version (at least for me).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I just confirmed it is still an issue for my test unit installation.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

oregonmatt wrote:This bug still exists in the released 3.0 version (at least for me).
For the record, I did report this problem to Local Unit Support on June 22, so they knew about it through official channels (not just this forum). I guess it wasn't deemed important enough to fix in the official release.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

For what it's worth, this bug has been fixed in 3.2. It's been so long that I was actually surprised to see it work the "right" way. :D

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”