"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
caillines

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by caillines »

russjones wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:33 pm I had the same issue with sending a message to a group and I even tried just sending a test email to my account and didn't receive it.
I'm having the same issues too. No messages or confirmations received, even for the test email just to myself (gmail).
caillines

Post by caillines »

Looks like it's working again now.
pyz01

Send a Message in LCR

Post by pyz01 »

I have never had any issues with the LCR "send a message" functionality until last week. Starting last week (7/9/2023), I would send out a message and I would never get a confirmation that the message was sent and I would never get the message, even though I send it to myself included in the distribution.

Fast forward to today (7/15/2023). The same thing has happened. I sent a message to the congregation and most people received it -- but I did not. I believe it has to do with my e-mail service -- I use Outlook.com. G-mail, Hotmail, and iCloud all seem to be working -- but now Outlook.com is not working. I know this issue was propping up before for AOL and Yahoo mail -- but it seems now to have spread to Outlook.com as well.

Anyone else have this issue? Thanks for your replies.
pyz01

Post by pyz01 »

Tested late this evening with and without an attachment and both worked. It seems that when I am sending at peak time, (Saturday afternoon) and to many people - it might be getting bogged down. Anyway -- seems to be working now. Next Saturday will try sending in smaller groups and see if that resolves the issue when the server is in peak demand.
peparsons

Re: Send a Message in LCR

Post by peparsons »

pyz01 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:42 pm I have never had any issues with the LCR "send a message" functionality until last week. Starting last week (7/9/2023), I would send out a message and I would never get a confirmation that the message was sent and I would never get the message, even though I send it to myself included in the distribution.

Fast forward to today (7/15/2023). The same thing has happened. I sent a message to the congregation and most people received it -- but I did not. I believe it has to do with my e-mail service -- I use Outlook.com. G-mail, Hotmail, and iCloud all seem to be working -- but now Outlook.com is not working. I know this issue was propping up before for AOL and Yahoo mail -- but it seems now to have spread to Outlook.com as well.

Anyone else have this issue? Thanks for your replies.
I'm having exactly the same problem. I sent an email to a lot of people and some definitely got it because they replied to thank me. But I didn't get it myself nor did I get a confirmation that it had been sent. I use gmail so I set up a gmail filter to tell it that mail received from noreply@mail.churchofjesuschrist.org is to be marked as important and never sent to spam. I then sent a test message to myself, but I still didn't receive it.

I know there's an announcement saying there's a problem, but that's been there a while and it's never affected me before, Maybe I need to try sending messages early in the morning before USA members wake up :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to check your "Subscriptions" in your Church account to make sure you're set to receive "Local leader e-mail".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
caillines

Post by caillines »

russellhltn wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:23 pm You might want to check your "Subscriptions" in your Church account to make sure you're set to receive "Local leader e-mail".
As a quick check, if you are not currently subscribed, it should show the word "Unsubscribed" instead of an envelope in member selection popup in Send a Message.
mdigi

Post by mdigi »

I use Outlook/Hotmail for my Church account. For the past 16 months I've missed quite a bit of LCR mail. Based on what I've seen, I believe Outlook/Hotmail (maybe others?) are rejecting mail based on the name of the user sending the LCR message and the subject they use. I think if any given user never uses the same subject line (via LCR) back-to-back, things will work.

For example: For a user who sends a weekly email, they might try sending
"{WardName} Ward Weekly Email for week of {Date}"
or
"{WardName} Ward Weekly Email for week of {Date} - Revision {RevNum}"
rather than just "{WardName} Ward Weekly Email"

Outlook/Hotmail seems to allow the same subject to be re-used (via LCR) as long as it sees a different subject line from the same user before the subject is reused. If another user sends the message, they can use the same subject right away, but then they are subject to the "don't re-use the same subject line back-to-back" rule.

I noticed LCR is now adding Subscription and Preference links to the bottom of the emails. That may also help?

Looking at the mail headers, DKIM/SPF/DMARC are all in place and appear to be setup correctly.

Personally, I'm disappointed with Outlook/Hotmaili rejecting these messages. If they don't pass their spam checks, they should put them in the SPAM folder.

However, running mail servers (espeically for distribution lists) today is a headache.

I think the Church would benefit from adding a messaging capability to Member Tools -- separate from e-mail/text, but a way to dissiminate information and correspond with members/leaders.
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

I am sorry, but if email list operators like MailChimp and others are able to deliver millions of newsletters successfully in a consistent manner the church should be able to do it as well.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

sebastian.buck wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:53 am I am sorry, but if email list operators like MailChimp and others are able to deliver millions of newsletters successfully in a consistent manner the church should be able to do it as well.
Mailchimp has 1500 employees focused primarily on email and communication delivery. The Church does not. I don't want to suggest that more employees makes things easier, but I think it's unfair to compare the Church, whose primary mission isn't email and communication delivery, to a company that's solely focused on that.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”