iCal sync not working - Mountain Lion

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.

iCal sync not working - Mountain Lion

#1Postby nolsena36 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks for the now functioning google sync. However, still not able to sync the calendar with ical - Mac OS X (Mountain Lion) 10.8.1.
nolsena36
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:36 am

iCal - Mountain Lion 10.8.1

#2Postby clairdc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:09 pm

nolsena36 wrote:Thanks for the now functioning google sync. However, still not able to sync the calendar with ical - Mac OS X (Mountain Lion) 10.8.1.


Not any help, just adding my voice to inability to sync with OS X 10.8.1
clairdc
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:07 pm

#3Postby aebrown » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:50 pm

nolsena36 wrote:Thanks for the now functioning google sync. However, still not able to sync the calendar with ical - Mac OS X (Mountain Lion) 10.8.1.


For anyone that is having trouble syncing, it could be good to try an iCal validator (such as the one located here). You can take the sync URL for your calendar (looks like http://www.lds.org/church-calendar/serv ... subscribe/<id>) and paste it in your browser's address bar. Then you can save the resulting file somewhere on your computer. Finally, use the validator to check the file.

If the file is valid, then I would suspect that the calendar you are trying to sync with has problems. Depending on how much patience you have, if you are willing and technically able to whittle down the resulting file, you might be able to gather some helpful information about which event(s) are causing the problem.
Please don't ask me questions via PM that can benefit the larger community.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
 
Posts: 13289
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#4Postby aarontomlinson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:02 pm

aebrown wrote:For anyone that is having trouble syncing, it could be good to try an iCal validator (such as the one located here). You can take the sync URL for your calendar (looks like http://www.lds.org/church-calendar/serv ... subscribe/<id>) and paste it in your browser's address bar. Then you can save the resulting file somewhere on your computer. Finally, use the validator to check the file.

If the file is valid, then I would suspect that the calendar you are trying to sync with has problems. Depending on how much patience you have, if you are willing and technically able to whittle down the resulting file, you might be able to gather some helpful information about which event(s) are causing the problem.


Adding my voice to the Mac OSX 10.8.1 inability to sync. I tried the iCal validator tool as linked above. It returned an error:

Your calendar is using an invalid newline format. Make sure to use \r\n to end lines rather than just \n (RFC 2445 §4.1).
Sorry, your calendar could not be parsed.
Error: Error was: Error at line 1: Expected [-3], read [-1]

I sure hope this is fixed soon. I'm flying blind without my iCal sync in Mountain Lion. Please fix!

P.S. I also tried regenerating the sync URL on the lds.org calendar sync page. Didn't help.
aarontomlinson
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:14 pm

#5Postby russellhltn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:55 pm

Moderator note: Thread was broken off from Calendar 2.2.1 Updated as it is a different subject.

Has anyone tried downloading the iCal and then feeding it to the app? One of the big changes is that the updated system only allows one sync per hour. If for some reason Mountain Lion 10.8 is reading the URL more then once, that could be a problem.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
 
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#6Postby russellhltn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 pm

aarontomlinson wrote:I tried the iCal validator tool as linked above. It returned an error:

Your calendar is using an invalid newline format. Make sure to use \r\n to end lines rather than just \n (RFC 2445 §4.1).
Sorry, your calendar could not be parsed.
Error: Error was: Error at line 1: Expected [-3], read [-1]


I got the exact same error - on my second sync of the hour. But when I fed it my iCal file I saved in my first sync, it was good. Remember, once you sync, you have to wait an hour before you can sync again.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
 
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#7Postby aebrown » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:25 am

aarontomlinson wrote:I tried the iCal validator tool as linked above. It returned an error:

Your calendar is using an invalid newline format. Make sure to use \r\n to end lines rather than just \n (RFC 2445 §4.1).
Sorry, your calendar could not be parsed.
Error: Error was: Error at line 1: Expected [-3], read [-1]


Did you actually follow the steps I gave to save the iCal file to your computer and then run the file through the validator? That's the only way I can get it to work. If I pass the URL to the validator it fails every time, and thus gives no useful information.
Please don't ask me questions via PM that can benefit the larger community.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
 
Posts: 13289
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#8Postby russellhltn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:10 am

aebrown wrote:If I pass the URL to the validator it fails every time, and thus gives no useful information.


I tried it just now and it worked fine for me. But that was only because it had been over an hour since my last sync attempt.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
 
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#9Postby aebrown » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:47 am

RussellHltn wrote:I tried it just now and it worked fine for me. But that was only because it had been over an hour since my last sync attempt.


Thanks for clarifying that. I guess in my earlier testing I didn't pay sufficient attention to the timing of my tests.

It appears that the validator I linked to doesn't handle zero-length data very well. The message "Error: Error was: Error at line 1: Expected [-3], read [-1]" isn't exactly the clearest message that the validator received no data. :)

So those who are reporting that particular error need to be aware that any attempt to sync starts the clock, and you won't be able to sync again for another hour. That "attempt to sync" includes entering your sync URL in your browser to attempt to download an iCal file, passing the URL to a validator, a sync that you configured with another system (Google, Outlook, iCal, etc.) happens to kick in (note that you may not control that timing). Unless you're certain that no sync attempt has happened in the last hour, getting that error message doesn't tell you much.
Please don't ask me questions via PM that can benefit the larger community.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
 
Posts: 13289
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#10Postby csneddon » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:32 pm

I just tried syncing my ward calendar with ical, and I get the following error:

Your Calendar couldn't be refreshed. There was an unexpected error with the request on subscribed calendars (error -1).

Any suggestions? I've read through this thread, but can't seem to figure out the once an hour syncing issues that my be plaguing my attempts. TIA
csneddon
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Next

Return to Calendar

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests