LDSTech

Cisco 881W activation and wifi range issues.

Discuss various issues around providing Internet access to meetinghouses.

Moderators: MarchantRR, SheffieldTR

Cisco 881W activation and wifi range issues.

#1Postby sphester » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi All

I'm sure I have visited a page that lets you activate the 881W routers that get installed or am I dreaming. If there is such a page could someone share a link for me?

I can remember visiting a page were it showed my units in the stake and the router they have.

Also is there a need to activate the unit or is this done as part of the install by the contractors?

Also does anyone have any good suggestions regarding the following issue. The new 881W have all been installed inside metal comms cabinets. This presents a small problem in that the metal cabinet reduces the range significantly.

Can the unit be moved outside to so it sits on the top or is this a big no no?

Are there cables we can buy to extend the antenna's so they reach outside the cabinet?

What have other people done if anything?
sphester
Member
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:44 am
Location: Lancaster England

#2Postby aebrown » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:32 pm

You should go to the Meetinghouse firewall article on the wiki. That links to the activation instructions, which include the URL to go to in order to activate the firewall (if it doesn't automatically go to that page when you power it up).

No contractors were involved in the firewall installation for my stake, so I have no idea whether they activate the firewall. But it's easy enough to test if the firewall is active (go to http://filteraudit.cjclds.net and see if you get a blocked page message). If you don't get the block page, then activate it yourself. It's quite easy to do.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
 
Posts: 12747
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#3Postby rbeede » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:11 pm

As for antennas you can get short pigtails to place the antennas outside or even different antennas with cable to fix the range issue.
User avatar
rbeede
Member
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:33 pm

#4Postby sphester » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:21 pm

aebrown wrote:You should go to the Meetinghouse firewall article on the wiki. That links to the activation instructions, which include the URL to go to in order to activate the firewall (if it doesn't automatically go to that page when you power it up).



I had tried this link but i guess it only works from the chapel connection. I seem to remember visiting a site from home that showed me the options for activation but must be dreaming this as never found it since perhaps I was at the chapel at the time.
sphester
Member
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:44 am
Location: Lancaster England

#5Postby aebrown » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:00 am

sphester wrote:I had tried this link but i guess it only works from the chapel connection. I seem to remember visiting a site from home that showed me the options for activation but must be dreaming this as never found it since perhaps I was at the chapel at the time.


In the activation instructions, you'll see this note:
[B]Note:[/B] http://firewall.lds.org is not a public website and is only used when activating the firewall.


Indeed, that is a special URL that only works when you are going through an 881W managed by the Church -- it will not work from anywhere else.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
 
Posts: 12747
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#6Postby bradhokanson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:19 am

sphester wrote:Also is there a need to activate the unit or is this done as part of the install by the contractors?

in the UK activations are done by BT. They usually install the internet service and then install the 881w at the same time. In the U.S. Stake Tech Specialists installed many but anyone with the equipment and permission could do it.

sphester wrote:Also does anyone have any good suggestions regarding the following issue. The new 881W have all been installed inside metal comms cabinets. This presents a small problem in that the metal cabinet reduces the range significantly.

Can the unit be moved outside to so it sits on the top or is this a big no no?

Are there cables we can buy to extend the antenna's so they reach outside the cabinet?

What have other people done if anything?


Getting small legnth pigtails to extend the antennas outside the box has been the common recommendation.
Engineer, Field/Campus Network Operations
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
User avatar
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:31 pm
Location: Utah, USA

#7Postby sphester » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:31 pm

bradhokanson wrote:Getting small legnth pigtails to extend the antennas outside the box has been the common recommendation.


I guess this sort of thing will work http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/rp-tnc-antenna-base-with-1-metre-cable-.html

There magnetic too so will attach to the side of the cab easily and can be moved when required.
sphester
Member
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:44 am
Location: Lancaster England

#8Postby Mikerowaved » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:42 pm

sphester wrote:I guess this sort of thing will work http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/rp-tnc-antenna-base-with-1-metre-cable-.html

There magnetic too so will attach to the side of the cab easily and can be moved when required.

I like the idea of the magnetic base, however something to watch out for is the type and length of coax used. In the above example at WiFi frequencies, that 1 meter of RG174 used will cost you around 2-2.5dB of attenuation, depending on the manufacturer. That's roughly 40% of BOTH the transmit and receive signal lost. That kind of loss will limit the effective range of the router and will likely more than negate any benefit of relocating the antennas.

For cables up to 1m I would recommend at least LMR200 (or equiv.) and if you need longer than that, switch to LMR400, but don't exceed around 3m. If you really have to go over 3m, it would be far better to relocate the whole router rather than try to extend the antennas.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
 
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

#9Postby jonahhex » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:33 am

The best method is to order 1041n WAP to cover areas that are not providing wireless connectivity. Pigtails in theory would be fine but I have not had much luck using them.
Keeping the Church Communication Network working
Tim Johnson - GSC - Connectivity
User avatar
jonahhex
New Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

#10Postby sphester » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:15 pm

jonahhex wrote:The best method is to order 1041n WAP to cover areas that are not providing wireless connectivity. Pigtails in theory would be fine but I have not had much luck using them.


What does the 1041n cost?
sphester
Member
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:44 am
Location: Lancaster England

Next

Return to Meetinghouse Internet

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest