LDSTech

Closed Captioning on ASL Channel

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.

Closed Captioning on ASL Channel

#1Postby techgy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:42 am

All of the Church broadcast usually have closed captioning available for those who cannot hear. Also available, with the right receiver configuration, is the ASL broadcast for the deaf.

We recently had an idea that it would be helpful to include the Closed Captioning on the ASL channel. We had a situation recently where a full-time deaf missionary was not proficient in the use of ASL yet and had asked for the Closed Captioning. Currently you have a choice of one or the other, but not both at the same time.

What would be the possibility of providing both Closed Captioning AND ASL on the same channel??
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
techgy
Community Moderators

#2Postby russellhltn » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:01 am

You might want to call satellite support during the week and ask them. I think one concern would be if the CC would hide some of the ASL when signed low.

Note that the standard English audio is on the broadcast. I'd think that could be used in your situation with the proper setup.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

#3Postby russellhltn » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:42 pm

I noticed at the end of the Sunday morning session, you can send comments to deaf at ldschurch.org. That seems like the best place to make your suggestion.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

#4Postby techgy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:06 pm

RussellHltn wrote:I noticed at the end of the Sunday morning session, you can send comments to deaf at ldschurch.org. That seems like the best place to make your suggestion.
Good idea. Thanks. I'll post any response I get.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
techgy
Community Moderators

Return to General Media Discussions