Saving a post leads to view with just one article

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
aebrown
Community Administrator

Saving a post leads to view with just one article

Post by aebrown »

Immediately after you save an article (after creating it or after editing an existing article), you are taken to a view with just one article in it (the one you just edited or created). I find this view to be a bit disconcerting, particularly as I created my second article -- I thought my first article had been deleted!

Since the ordering of articles is based on edit date, not creation date, the newly edited or created article will be at the top of the list right after you save it anyway, so why not just show the normal view with all the articles?

If the ordering is adjusted to be based on creation date (as I hope), then I suppose it could be disconcerting when you edit an existing article that is somewhere in the middle of the list to not see the saved post. But that could probably be addressed by adding a little notice immediately above it (similar to the notice that appears when you delete an article) and making sure you scroll the list so that the edited article is visible.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

You are redirected to the article page showing your article. That you just created. There are featured articles that allow you to make a article appear at the top so if you redirected to a catagory it might be confusing?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jeffevannelson wrote:You are redirected to the article page showing your article. That you just created. There are featured articles that allow you to make a article appear at the top so if you redirected to a catagory it might be confusing?
Upon further reflection, I agree that redirecting to a page with multiple articles (either a category view or the "All" view) could be even more confusing, particularly with one or more Featured Articles affecting the ordering. So I retract my request for going to a different view from the single article view. But because that view is a bit unusual, I still think it would be helpful to add a little message saying "<article name> has been created" or "<article name> has been updated".
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Beta Newsletter”