Does the Church publish to Kindle?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bensonmcconkie

Does the Church publish to Kindle?

Post by bensonmcconkie »

I found this book while searching for others stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/For-Strength-Yout ... h+of+youth

(It's For The Strength of Youth for Kindle.)

So, is the Church publishing to Kindle? I'm not sure why they'd be charging for it...

Or is this some third party trying to make a fast buck? :)
mdyoung

Re: Does the Church publish to Kindle?

Post by mdyoung »

That is a good question. After looking at the Amazon page for the item you mentioned it does seem that it is from the Church. Under the projects heading, there is a project entitled Digital Books and Magazines and it references making e-books available on Amazon.

I don't know why it costs 0.99$ but all the Churches publications which are available for the kindle cost that amount. If I were to hazard a guess I would speculate that there is some hidden cost in publishing through Amazon and the Church is trying to offset that.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

I'm pretty sure that Kindle requires publishers to charge this minimum amount for ebooks on the Kindle. I'm not 100% sure, but I remember reading something like this.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mdyoung wrote:I don't know why it costs 0.99$ but all the Churches publications which are available for the kindle cost that amount.
The Kindle version of Teachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith is available for free, although even that appears to be discounted from $0.99. Not being a Kindle owner (or publisher), I can't say for sure why most of the LDS publications for that platform are at $0.99.
johnsonth wrote:I'm pretty sure that Kindle requires publishers to charge this minimum amount for ebooks on the Kindle. I'm not 100% sure, but I remember reading something like this.
That doesn't appear to be the case. A search on Amazon for Free Kindle Books returns over 100K hits.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If one clicks on the link to the publisher, you find there's a verity of prices - some free. Even more interesting is the "by" for some of the other publications:

"by Joseph Smith and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"

and

"by Mormon, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), Joseph Smith and LDS Book Club"

Something doesn't smell right.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:If one clicks on the link to the publisher, you find there's a verity of prices - some free. Even more interesting is the "by" for some of the other publications:
If you dig a bit deeper, you'll find some were not published by the church.
russellhltn wrote:"by Joseph Smith and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"
"This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers."
russellhltn wrote:"by Mormon, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), Joseph Smith and LDS Book Club"
"Brought to you by the LDS Book Club (a Packard Technologies company)"
bensonmcconkie

Post by bensonmcconkie »

I've published to the kindle, and making books free is absolutely an option. In fact, publishing to Kindle doesn't cost anything--except for a percentage of sales. So the church could definitely publish to kindle.

As the church already has many manuals in epub format, it seems like this is something that would be quite feasible.

Or, alternatively, if the church didn't mind, any joe bloe member could digitize and publish them--and make them free, unlike these listings.

I guess the Church figures kindle users can just go to their ebook page.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Except for the items in the public domain, I'd think this would be a copyright issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It is not correct to assume that since and individual can publish to Kindle that the Church can publish to Kindle for free. Different rules apply to organizations and individuals, non-profit and for-profit, etc...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
mlfenton

Post by mlfenton »

But the Church does publish to the Kindle.
Have you loaded the "Gospel Library" program?
Look at all the Items under Epub. I think you'll find that they are all available inside Gospel Library. It is free.
The advantage? You can have 20 years of Conference Talks, and all of your Church manuals.
Want to do a search? Just give it a try on a paid for scripture or Epub program.
It starts at the beginning and goes line by line to find your search. If it has to go all the way to the end -- you could be 20 minutes waiting for results.
But -- the Gospel Library indexes all content (if you enable it), and searches are as quick as on your desktop.
Do you underline and markup your scriptures and epub readings? Are those markups important to you? Where do those markups go if you delete your epub?
With Gospel Library -- you can have it synchronize all your highlights with your account on LDS.org. Have a Kindle and an Ipad? Markup on one, and it is synchronized to the other.
Loose your Kindle and all your markups are there when you replace it.
.... the point is -- that a program like Gospel Library takes you way beyond a simple epub -- so why would you not take advantage of it.

And doing your own epub with Church owned material? No .. no .. no. You don't own the content. Although the church wants the scriptures in the hands of all that would receive it -- they alone own the content. No matter what your intentions -- Lucifer it waiting for any change to trip someone up over a word. Look at what happened with Martin Harris.
Leave church publishing to those who have been tasked with that responsibility.

Return to “General Discussions”