New youth videos and today's Tech broadcast

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
wsplawn

New youth videos and today's Tech broadcast

Post by wsplawn »

The broadcast asked for ideas and input; I'll tell you what we did at our stake for viewing of Youth videos.

I was assigned to download the training videos (and the ongoing monthly videos) and put them on five difference flash drives which we keep in the library. These can be checked out during class time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New youth videos and today's Tech broadcast

Post by russellhltn »

Clearly you have devices that can play the thumb drives. What are you using? How were they obtained?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wsplawn

Post by wsplawn »

Many if not most of the members of the stake have access to a computer they can bring in. All we've done by assigning one person to download the videos monthly is to eliminate the need for many to do it, who may or may not be technically savvy.

They go to the library, check out a thumb drive and a TV (we have three) and they take it from there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wsplawn wrote:They go to the library, check out a thumb drive and a TV (we have three) and they take it from there.
So the computing device is member-supplied. What kind of connectivity do the TVs have? I assume at least composite input. Anything else that's computer-friendly?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Is the individual required to provide both the computer and the connecting cables or can they be checked out as well?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

For our stake center, I recently purchased three types of cables from Staples:
- HDMI
- Component (RGB)
- VGA/audio (stereo plug)
I would like to store them in the meetinghouse library, but I am a little nervous that they will disappear, and not be available when I need to use them for stake functions. Then again, if I do not put them in the library, the three wards that meet in the stake center may use their budget funds to buy their own, which would be a waste, I think.
Dana
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Dana,

I put 4 cable kits together for our new Stake Center that came with 1 Large LCD and 3 Smaller LCD's. I included the same cables you have above. I connected all of them together creatively and bought a pouch with a tie-cord to put them in. I labeled them Stake Center Cable Kit 1 through 4. So far, after a year, they are all still there (I created separate ones for the stake to keep around as well). Your mileage may vary
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I would like to store them in the meetinghouse library, but I am a little nervous that they will disappear, and not be available when I need to use them for stake functions.
I would keep a set for the stake alone. The others go into the library.

I'd also mark them well. Not subtly. "Vandalize" it. Big and gaudy.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I found some zip ties in the attic, left there by the FM group. I secured all the A/V cables to the TV stand with three zip ties, so I don't think they will be going anywhere. Yes, zip ties can be cut, but it requires intent and forethought.
Dana
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Yes, zip ties can be cut, but it requires intent and forethought.
All it requires is an urgent need somewhere else - with a procrastinated intent to return it. I'd still suggest labeling it somehow - even if it's just a dap of nail polish.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”