Linux

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

I realize that there are widely varieing views on this issue, and I don't think most of the analogies help to clear up matters. Unfortunately, the issues are somewhat abstract, so most people are still figuring out how to think about them, but I think its a mistake to make snap judgements either way. At the very least, the answers should be given careful thought.

If I download a song from a CD to try it before I buy it, was that wrong? What if I Decide I don't like it and don't buy the CD? How about if I download a song from a CD that I can't find because its out of print? What if I download a song because I like it, but I don't buy the CD, and I wouldn't buy the CD even if I didn't download it? It's perfectly legal to record a song off the radio. Is there a moral difference if I download it rather than recording it?

All of the above questions have a common thread. If downloading doesn't hurt anyone but only benifits the downloader, is it wrong?

Aaron
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I agree with AdrianLP about satellite broadcasting.I never heard about a spy jailed or condemned for breaking code.
Other thing is illegal copy of software. In this case software is not spread out through a public media (air, electromagnetic field, ecc.). If a software house send a software to your email with access code and you are able to decode it, then it will be a thef?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

It appears this discussion has gotten way of course. Let's stick to discussions about technology and its application to the work of the Church.

Obviously questions on moral issues and ethics have many varying views. It should probably remain a personal opinion as far as this LDS Tech web site is concerned. Please feel free to have these very interesting debates outside the arena of this public forum.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Ok. Sorry for my posts.
I've not read all, just few lasts and I don't realize exactly what was the exact topics.
I apologize.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

There's another forum that explain why Open Source is a good choose. Linux as the same advantages.
I think that Church will spare millions of dollars in patents for OS and AntiVirus.
I know you know this very well.
With the increase of Internet programs OS will became indifferent. So Church computer could be supply with Linux easily.
I suggest to have a new calling in each ward/branch: Linux expert! With all involvements. (Training, ecc.)

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”