MLS 3.5.1 member locating steps

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
williamjackson

MLS 3.5.1 member locating steps

Post by williamjackson »

In MLS 3.5.1 when I attempt to move a record out of my ward with an unknown address, I get a handy list of member locating steps I need to complete.

I do not have quick access to MLS and I cannot find the list of steps published anywhere else. Can someone point me to the list if it is available online or post it here?
techgy
Community Moderators

Re: MLS 3.5.1 member locating steps

Post by techgy »

subtlecoolness wrote:In MLS 3.5.1 when I attempt to move a record out of my ward with an unknown address, I get a handy list of member locating steps I need to complete.

I do not have quick access to MLS and I cannot find the list of steps published anywhere else. Can someone point me to the list if it is available online or post it here?
Perhaps THIS is what you are looking for.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The specific list in MLS 3.5.1 is:
  1. Contact the occupants at the member’s last known address
  2. Use postal services to find a forwarding address
  3. Call any last known telephone numbers
  4. Send an e-mail inquiry to any last known e-mail address
  5. Contact known family members and relatives
  6. Contact known friends, Church members, and full-time missionaries
  7. Contact ward priesthood and auxiliary leaders
  8. Check available online social networks
  9. Obtain bishop's approval
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The First Presidency Letter dated October 29, 2012, which the bishop should have received, also contains the list.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

techgy wrote:
subtlecoolness wrote:In MLS 3.5.1 when I attempt to move a record out of my ward with an unknown address, I get a handy list of member locating steps I need to complete.

Perhaps THIS is what you are looking for.
I am not much of a Wiki editor, but I think it would be nice if someone updated the Wiki article to include a reference to the new feature of LCR that allows leaders to see the unit number of the parents of a member, including the contact information for the bishop of those parents. This is extremely helpful in obtaining current contact information of children who have gone missing.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
dwbrinton83

Post by dwbrinton83 »

The letter from the First Presidency Discussing this policy and procedure can be found at https://letters.lds.org/document/pdf?it ... nline=true
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I question how far the directive "contact family members and relatives" is intended to be carried out. I know in the past CHQ does send out queries for folks who are in the "unknown" file. I've always interpreted that directive to be for known family in the ward or immediate area. Granted, that's not the way it's phrased. I'm going more by memory about how it used to be (with a carbonless multi-part form) as well as the limitations of the membership information at that time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
NathanGalloway

Post by NathanGalloway »

Hello - If anyone is still checking this discussion string. Can anyone tell me if the nine member locating steps, as published in the First Presidency Letter of 29 October 2012, are still active guidance? I cannot find the letter on the LCR site and just now was able to actually locate the steps in this forum discussion. Any update on this would be greatly appreciated. Contact information:
[Personal information redacted]
Thanks Much.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I believe the 9 steps are still active. If you attempt to move someone to address unknown, you should see a popup for you to confirm that each of the steps was done.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”