Suggested TV's to support USB mp4 files

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
johnshaw

Suggested TV's to support USB mp4 files

Post by johnshaw »

A question for the group:

What models of TV, both 32 and smaller has this group found that would support a USB access video files supporting the native mp4 format the church produces videos in.

I'm investigating both a larger LCD TV or a smaller TV/DVD combo unit (24 In) or so.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
TinMan

Re: Suggested TV's to support USB mp4 files

Post by TinMan »

John: You know I don't understand most of this because I am just not tech savvy. :)

But why do you need the "TV" part? We are using Samsung monitors with built in speakers that have USB ports. The Stake also outfitted our existing TV's with Blue Ray players that have USB ports. They have also provided us with flash drives that have all the Church's videos on them. 500 or so.

I think that library shelf with all those videos and a few DVD's just went obsolete!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:We are using Samsung monitors with built in speakers that have USB ports. The Stake also outfitted our existing TV's with Blue Ray players that have USB ports.
Make sure those devices can play back videos. Not all devices with USB ports can.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

TinMan wrote:John: You know I don't understand most of this because I am just not tech savvy. :)

But why do you need the "TV" part? We are using Samsung monitors with built in speakers that have USB ports. The Stake also outfitted our existing TV's with Blue Ray players that have USB ports. They have also provided us with flash drives that have all the Church's videos on them. 500 or so.

I think that library shelf with all those videos and a few DVD's just went obsolete!
mostly it was a generic ask, it a samsung monitor works with a USB stick that's great... Have you tried the Flash Drive option and played files on them?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

JohnShaw wrote:
TinMan wrote:John:

mostly it was a generic ask, it a samsung monitor works with a USB stick that's great... Have you tried the Flash Drive option and played files on them?
Yep. At least the first 20 or so that I have watched. Haven't gotten through them all yet. :)
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

I can tell you what doesn't work on my first try in our building.
LG 32LD452C-UA - It is the 32" LCD TV that is still at the Distribution Center web site. Hope they don't have a large inventory. LG does not support USB video play until you get to the LED TV's.

Have not found a way to get into the service menu to see if it can be changed. Nothing on-line that I could find.

Toshiba 24V4210V - It is a 24" LCD TV with DVD player built in. In the webcast the 4th it was indicated that they were recommending (to Distribution Center?) a different TV to replace this model in the future.

It looks like if you don't have a laptop or device that has HDMI output you can't display video. The solution at this point is to use WD Media Players. One for each TV at about $90 each. Then it will be who's budget since the FM group budget has been deeply cut.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Paulbb1 wrote:LG does not support USB video play until you get to the LED TV's.
As I've said previously - out of the box one of our LG 32"s did support video through USB, and one didn't.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I've noticed that there are differences between the EU versions and the US versions of this equipment, some come with features that others do not.
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

I am seeing the same thing between US and EU. Can't find anything on the web about the US version. It is all software. Probably same hardware.
East Grinstead and Redhill were one of my mission areas in 1963. Digs were on Reigate (Hill?) Rd.
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
klbailey8

Post by klbailey8 »

I have tested the Samsung UN32EH4003 32-Inch 720p 60Hz TV and it plays MP4 video very well using the USB port.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”