FMG stopped funding internet?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
mprusse

FMG stopped funding internet?

Post by mprusse »

Our building internet and wireless is very weak and spotty and needs a lot of work. My recent requests to have it looked at and improved have been rejected by the stake and FMG stating that they have been asked to stop funding for these building internet projects for the time being.

Has anyone else heard of this currently?
gregwanderson

Re: FMG stopped funding internet?

Post by gregwanderson »

Our Stake's buildings recently had all new Internet gear installed which matches the Cisco gear that others have discussed being installed in their stake and ward buildings (Where users connect to a wi-fi network which is called "LDSAccess" in each building and use a common password throughout our Stake facilities). Previously, there was a less-permanent system providing Ethernet lines to the offices and we had a not-very-strong Wi-Fi router that wasn't too reliable. The new stuff, however, does a great job. Perhaps your requests fell outside the standardized system that's being installed now at church facilities and that old gear is what they don't want to consider anymore. (In other words, are they rejecting a request to upgrade the old system you've been using because they're actually focusing on the all-new system that is rolling out these days?)
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

mrrad wrote:Our Stake's buildings recently had all new Internet gear installed which matches the Cisco gear that others have discussed being installed in their stake and ward buildings (Where users connect to a wi-fi network which is called "LDSAccess" in each building and use a common password throughout our Stake facilities). Previously, there was a less-permanent system providing Ethernet lines to the offices and we had a not-very-strong Wi-Fi router that wasn't too reliable. The new stuff, however, does a great job. Perhaps your requests fell outside the standardized system that's being installed now at church facilities and that old gear is what they don't want to consider anymore. (In other words, are they rejecting a request to upgrade the old system you've been using because they're actually focusing on the all-new system that is rolling out these days?)
I don't think so. We inquired as to any solution the FMG has and was told by our stake that until the church has a permanent solution in place for all buildings church wide, they were holding off. Obviously I'm hearing conflicting reports and will have to look into it further. Thank you.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I can only speculate, but since our new instllation is only about 3 months old and it matches what others have in other areas, it seems like what we have IS the permanent solution being rolled out church-wide.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

One of our buildings just got a new Cisco 881W, three 1041n WAPs, and a 16-port switch. That happened less than two weeks ago. So at least at that point, our FM group was certainly not putting Meetinghouse Internet projects on hold.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The Church has had a standard implementation of equipment since the beginning of 2011 - the Cisco 881W firewall and the Cisco 1041N Wireless Access Point. FMG went through some cutting at the end of the year (as I've heard it) - and haven't received their final budgets or approved list of projects. I was told mid-January was likely when they will know. I'd try again after that period of time.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”