Can teachers edit individual lessons?

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
martensd

Can teachers edit individual lessons?

Post by martensd »

With the 2013 curriculum for youth Sunday School classes, teachers have flexibility to choose weekly lesson topics from outlines grouped under the monthly themes. Will they be able to edit individual lesson topics, or will the SS presidency have to do this after conferring with our teachers?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Can teachers edit individual lessons?

Post by lajackson »

There is a plan that teachers will be able to edit their lessons, but I am not sure if it has actually been implemented just yet.
mevans

Post by mevans »

This is a requested feature, but we haven't seen it yet.
mschmauch

Post by mschmauch »

It would be very helpful to have a general idea when teachers will be able to edit their own lesson plans. If it was going to happen within a week or so we could easily wait. If it's not coming for a month or more I, as the SS President, need to urge my teachers to funnel their lesson choices to me soon to get them scheduled properly so class menbers willnot lose trust in the Scheduling system after it's just been announced.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MSchmauch wrote:It would be very helpful to have a general idea when teachers will be able to edit their own lesson plans. If it was going to happen within a week or so we could easily wait. If it's not coming for a month or more I, as the SS President, need to urge my teachers to funnel their lesson choices to me soon to get them scheduled properly so class menbers willnot lose trust in the Scheduling system after it's just been announced.
We rarely hear about changes in advance. The limited pool of developers work on many projects based on priorities set by the Priesthood department.

I'd suggest you work with your teachers as I think it's more likely "a month or more" then "within a week". If I'm wrong, it will be a happy surprise.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
yatesto

Post by yatesto »

Thanks Russell! Knowing it will take some time is very useful; I don't have to keep checking each day. :) Your group does a great job. I love seeing the use of technology grow in the Church.
gregsowards

Post by gregsowards »

The website states it will be available the first week of 2013. You can take it to the bank!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Now you know why they seldom announce updates or features for those updates. When that announcement was made it looked like it might make it in that time frame. And now that the time has passed let's exercise patience and forbearance.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
whatgoesaround

Post by whatgoesaround »

Frankly, it is one thing to exercise patience and forbearance, but the entire new curriculum idea was that students and their parents would study at home in preparation for the lessons. If that doesn't happen soon then the youth are missing out on a huge opportunity to not only learn at home prior to Sunday, but get their parents involved. I know that individual lessons can be announced over the pulpit or in the bulletin or on Ward Facebook pages, but many people rely on going to lds.org to get information about the Ward. I would say that our lack of patience is in Godly love for our youth and their benefit.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

whatgoesaround wrote:Frankly, it is one thing to exercise patience and forbearance, but the entire new curriculum idea was that students and their parents would study at home in preparation for the lessons. If that doesn't happen soon then the youth are missing out on a huge opportunity to not only learn at home prior to Sunday, but get their parents involved. I know that individual lessons can be announced over the pulpit or in the bulletin or on Ward Facebook pages, but many people rely on going to lds.org to get information about the Ward. I would say that our lack of patience is in Godly love for our youth and their benefit.
If you will recall, the change in youth curriculum was announced so late in the year that LDS Distribution had already prepared and shipped the old manuals to those who requested them. Hardly anyone was as prepared for this change as they would have wished.

I am sure programmers and others are scrambling as quickly as they can to adapt to the change. In the meantime, youth and parents can still study at home.

And while lessons cannot be updated by the teachers, they can be updated by administrators who can be very specific about what will be studied on Sunday. So it actually is possible today to do the very thing you suggest. It just cannot be done by the teachers themselves.

They will have to talk to and coordinate with other leaders, which was also a very important part of implementing the new curriculum, as I recall from our stake training.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”