MLS 3.5.1 Rolls - Is A Mess

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
iamdavid

MLS 3.5.1 Rolls - Is A Mess

Post by iamdavid »

There are a number of problems we have printing Rolls and Class Lists.
The YSA and SA Rolls are not populated.
The RS and EQ have two extra, unpopulated lists, as though we have 3 of each Aux.
The Primary Classes are listed higgleldy-piggledy, with a number of other classes, some of them quite new and unpopulated, thrown in which is confusing AND...
The Primary Class Lists (not Rolls) when set to show Age, print out with no Class Identification at the top of the page, which is also confusing.
Printing out new Attendance Rolls for the ward today was fine. Finding the right class amongst all the excess printouts was a problem. We had a great number of superfluous pages printed.
I assume I am on a short list of tens or more who reported this but I see mainly techo probs listed in the short-names, so I threw in a "Rolls is a Mess" to attract the eagles.
iamdavid

Re: MLS 3.5.1 Rolls - Is A Mess

Post by iamdavid »

Ahh I see that by applying advice available elsewhere on how to 'create' a Deacons quorum, I can delete unwanted RS and EQ 'classes'.
But I find no way indicated whereby I can unscramble the list of Primary Classes, which even on their own are not in any kind of logical order (by age).
So I continue to await the assistance of any who could advise how to straighten out the Print Lists/Rolls issue. They remain a mess. The White, Speckled and Brown are all mixed up! :)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

What have you done to try and correct this? Have you done a backup and restore? This should reset the database indexes. Have you done a reset classes? This will wipe the classes and repopulate them. Resetting classes is a drastic measure that will wipe out any splits or merges that you may have done. In Sunday School this will wipe out any specialty classes such as Marriage and Family Relations, Temple Preparation, and so on.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to wait until 2013 before printing rolls. Especially for the children as I believe it will re-calculate who should be in what class once the year rolls over.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
iamdavid

Post by iamdavid »

Thank You.
We are in 2013 here.
I didn't think to Reset Classes !! Blind spot! I'll try that on Friday.
Also, it comes to me that we can find a use for the multiple Elders Quorums and Relief Societies. It will save us some paper but I'll need to run it past the RS and EQ Presidents and the Bishop. We have many No Current Address and Do Not Visit tags on our membership list. This may be a convenient way to idle them out of the Print system, although they would still appear under HT/VT Statistics over all. We could still print those discrete categories though, and that would enable other initiatives focused only on them.
But thanks for the "Reset Classes"...that may be exactly what advice I needed. I've done it in the past but for now it completely slipped my mind!
giffordrb

Post by giffordrb »

I would recommend removing the unused EQ and RS groups to keep MLS and CDOL clean. The blank organizations probably exist due to an error in CDOL but is easily cleaned up in MLS by removing them. Unless there are legitimate extra quorums (my ward has two elder's quorums for example) and Relief Society organizations there isn't really a need for those empty orgs to exist, and they could end up causing some anomalies on different reports etc. They will also appear in clerk resources and anywhere else that consumes data from CDOL. It sounds like you are already aware of this however - I just wanted to chime in.

Resetting the classes in primary is the best way to go as well. You will then need to split or merge classes as needed. Be sure to do a send/receive after the reset, then again after any splitting or merging.
bekitab

Post by bekitab »

russellhltn wrote:Personally, I think it would be a good idea to wait until 2013 before printing rolls. Especially for the children as I believe it will re-calculate who should be in what class once the year rolls over.
I wish there were a way to print Primary rolls the December before the coming year. Those classes really need to be organized and ready to go right away. Any confusion by the leaders the first week of January, will result in chaos and tears for the children. So for any listening ears if there is a way to program it so that we can adapt classes for the coming year I would so love it. I just tried to in MLS 3.5 (I think, I am not for sure which MLS our unit is using) and reset classes then tried to split and merge the 10/11 classes for next year. So I did the classes that those children are currently in the 9/10 class, but when I populated the 2014 roll it just moved the 8 year old children up into that 9/10 class instead of keeping my customized class for next year. I don't see any way to make it work except to wait until January. There seems to be no where to specify the date I am adjusting the classes for. Only dates for which I want the rolls printed.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”