Key management software

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
dgarvin

Key management software

Post by dgarvin »

We just moved into a new building and the task of organizing, distributing, and tracking building keys fell to me, as a bishopric counselor. I'm also a software developer and am about to write a simple application to track this. However, it seems to me that this would be a very useful app to add to the leadership tools section of lds.org.

It's not very complicated. Need data entities for Keys (I've serialized our keys, but should work with just key types), doors (or cylinders), people (from membership records), and callings (from membership records). Front end should allow entry of keys in the key box, doors, assigning keys to individuals, turning keys in, and a history of key movement. Need to know what keys are in the key box, which keys are out, who has what keys, etc. I'll probably build a C#.net winform app (the easiest and fastest for me) and run it for our ward, but it really needs to live on lds.org. Any thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Key management software

Post by russellhltn »

Others have just used a spreadsheet for who has what key.

One thing to watch out for: When a member moves out of the ward, you still need to know if the key was returned. It's not like a calling where they're automatically released.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Re: Key management software

Post by mevans »

I was a ward clerk once and was determined to manage the keys. I built a database and tried keeping track of them. I finally gave up. Too many people passed their keys around, didn't respond to my requests about keys they'd been issued, etc.

I think it would be great if the church changed the locks to RFID badges like many offices have gone to. I doubt it would happen because of the expense, but it would solve a bunch of problems. The amount of times we have to get new keys made, locks rekeyed, etc. costs something, too. We already have the outside doors controlled by a key code locks.

Oh well, I'm getting off topic so I better cut it off here.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”