Mission expenses charged to wrong ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Mission expenses charged to wrong ward

Post by drepouille »

I just received the following e-mail from the ward clerk of the YSA ward in my stake. Since I was recently called as the stake clerk, I have no idea what to do about this. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dana

I was reviewing my October and November statement and noticed that Salt Lake incorrectly charged us for two items relating to monthly missionary expenses in October:

1- Brother K's mission expense should have been taken out of his home ward. His record was moved before before he left. Further, his missionary application indicated that [YSA Ward] was not the paying ward.

2- Salt Lake took another mission expense in October for Brother M. As you may know, he decided not to go several weeks before his call date.

For your general information this does happen on occasion (at least item #1) and [previous stake clerk] had been able to work some magic on his end to get it corrected. I'm concerned that Brother B, who recently left this month, will also be charged to our ward vs his home ward. Please let me know what you think, as this $800 bucks has consumed the majority of our funds. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mission expenses charged to wrong ward

Post by russellhltn »

I'd follow the suggestions in Transferring missionary funding to another ward.

The fact that it seems to be a error on their part may allow you to intervene, but they'd probably still want to check with the bishop accepting the responsibility.

But at least I think it tells you who you need to call.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rwood90

Re: Mission expenses charged to wrong ward

Post by rwood90 »

The YSA unit sent the missionary out- they will be billed each month.
it is no mistake.
when a unit sends out a missionary that unit leader has agreed to take responsibility for funding the missionary.
(minor differences on international involvement....)

first call & get the home ward Bishop to agree to accept the charges - this is required. The SP, the clerk, whoever can not over ride this step - the unit leader where the charge is going must agree to accept. not his clerk, not his counselor....

Next call MLS support, they will transfer you to missionary department.
Explain situation, explain new unit leader has accepted charges and back date to entry into mission. Have unit names/ numbers if possible.

Solved.

You should also instruct your local leaders to NOT accept agreement of such a transfer until confirming the funding. (parents for example) are in their ward and are willing & able to cover the charges.
for example if the missionary's record is in a unit where there is no possible support funds, that Bishop may say to the asking YSA unit, NO we will not accept financial responsibility. The YSA unit must be checking this before sending missionary out.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”