Calendar Event Drops When Adding Details

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
techgy
Community Moderators

Calendar Event Drops When Adding Details

Post by techgy »

When I click on a day of the month to begin entering information for an event, I usually type in the name of the Calendar as well as the name of the event. Then I click on Add Details to enter the event time and any other details. On occasion after the details screen loads and before I begin entering any details, I notice that the name of the Event has been cleared. So I re-enter this information and any other details before saving the Event.

As I said, it doesn't happen very often and I can't detect anything that I'm doing to cause the Event field to clear at that time. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this or am I simply clumsy in my typing and hitting something that clears the Events field?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar Event Drops When Adding Details

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this or am I simply clumsy in my typing and hitting something that clears the Events field?
I've seen that, too. Like you, I can't detect any particular pattern as to when the title entered in the initial popup carries forward into the event details page. It happens often enough to be mildly annoying, but I just enter the title again and move on.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Personally I'd rather do away with that first pop-up. It's a wasted step to get to the details. Either that or add a few more fields to make it useful.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

russellhltn wrote:Personally I'd rather do away with that first pop-up. It's a wasted step to get to the details. Either that or add a few more fields to make it useful.
Amen to that. It would be much quicker to just open a details page on the first attempt and have all the fields available for use.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Personally I'd rather do away with that first pop-up. It's a wasted step to get to the details. Either that or add a few more fields to make it useful.
Amen to that. It would be much quicker to just open a details page on the first attempt and have all the fields available for use.
Yes and no. I think maybe making the first pop-up a "Create event?" question would be preferable to going direct to the full-screen detail screen. Just in case the pop-up was a mistake. (I frequently encounter the pop-up when I'm just trying to shift focus from another screen.) If the detail screen can be shrunk down a bit, I might not mind that being the first pop-up.

If the first pop-up is to be kept, then I think start/end time and location fields need to be added. Maybe reserve going to the full-detail for things like repeating events, set/clean-up times, etc. Because I think Calendar/Event Name/Start/End/Location is a bare minimum for any event and would cover many of the most common cases.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

One thing I've noticed is that if you create an event on the first pop-up and enter just an Event name and a Calendar name it will create the event in a few seconds. If you open the 2nd pop-up it takes a LOT longer to close - and sometimes gets hung up.

Return to “Calendar”