Edit Reoccurring Event: Occurs Every X weeks on... X not persistent.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
clarkburbidge

Edit Reoccurring Event: Occurs Every X weeks on... X not persistent.

Post by clarkburbidge »

When editing a reoccurring event the value in the "Occurs Every X weeks on:" field goes to zero not maintaining the original setting entered when the event was created.

Shouldn't this value should be persistent?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

clarkburbidge wrote:When editing a reoccurring event the value in the "Occurs Every X weeks on:" field goes to zero not maintaining the original setting entered when the event was created.

Shouldn't this value should be persistent?
In my testing, the value did persist. I created an event that repeated every 2 weeks for 3 occurrences and saved it. Then I created another event that repeated every 3 weeks for 4 occurrences. When I went back and edited the first event, it retained the knowledge that it was every 2 weeks for 3 occurrences.

Are you certain that the event was originally scheduled to repeat on a weekly basis? If you create a new event from scratch, does it act properly? I'm wondering if there might be something odd about the way just that one event was stored.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
clarkburbidge

Post by clarkburbidge »

This only happened with events that occur every week: X = 1. I tried 2 and 3 and both were persistent when editing. As well daily was persistent. I was using a private calendar if that matters.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

clarkburbidge wrote:This only happened with events that occur every week: X = 1. I tried 2 and 3 and both were persistent when editing. As well daily was persistent. I was using a private calendar if that matters.
Thanks for the additional details. With that clarification, I was able to duplicate the problem. I would add these notes:
  • The problem does not happen for me on any event that has been edited. It only happens on events that have been created but not previously edited.
  • It doesn't matter whether the calendar is public or private.
  • As you noted, it only happens with events that repeat every week.
So it does seem to be a bug. But at least it is fairly harmless; the first time you edit such an event, when you try to save changes, you'll be warned that repeating every "0" weeks is invalid, and you can then change the 0 to a 1. Then the problem will never occur again for that event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
2gerolyn

Repeat event function has a mind of its own!

Post by 2gerolyn »

I use this function quite often. I also find myself having to edit these events. When I edit or even go to look at an event that has been entered as a repeating event...the number entered in the weeks or months box changes to zero. There have also been times when the end date has also changed to some random date. It doesn't happen all of the time...so I'm guessing it's a glitch of some sort. Can you give me any advice or help?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Repeat event function has a mind of its own!

Post by aebrown »

2gerolyn wrote:I use this function quite often. I also find myself having to edit these events. When I edit or even go to look at an event that has been entered as a repeating event...the number entered in the weeks or months box changes to zero.
I moved your post into the existing topic for this issue. You can read the earlier posts to see the details.
2gerolyn wrote:There have also been times when the end date has also changed to some random date. It doesn't happen all of the time...so I'm guessing it's a glitch of some sort.
That is a separate issue that you should start a new topic for. I haven't see that happen.
ronalines

Edit series quirk

Post by ronalines »

There's an edit quirk that I'd like to see get fixed as we all do a lot of editing after we insert a series. if I edit an entry that is part of a series, only that one entry, my "occurs ever weeks on" is always set to zero and I have to go over and change it to a one before I can save the edit. I'd like to see any entry in an series be a one where it says "occurs ever weeks on". It is annoying and not pertinent to a simple text edit to have to tweek the repeating function.

Thanks!!! Great Tool

Ron Lines
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator Note

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: This topic was split from the Hovering over online Calendar entry thread because it is a separate topic.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Edit series quirk

Post by aebrown »

ronalines wrote:...if I edit an entry that is part of a series, only that one entry, my "occurs ever weeks on" is always set to zero and I have to go over and change it to a one before I can save the edit.
This problem has been previously reported. I moved this discussion into the existing topic. Read the earlier posts for details.

Return to “Calendar”