Building Scheduler member list incomplete

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Building Scheduler member list incomplete

Post by aebrown »

I encountered an odd problem that wasn't visible until the problem reported in Unable to Add a Building Scheduler was fixed.

When I go to Settings > Locations & Rooms and then edit a location, I can click the Add Scheduler link to select a scheduler. In the popup that appears, I can choose a unit. Then I see a list of the members of the ward (filtered to include only those age 12 and older). So far so good.

However, in the particular ward I selected, I noticed that there were two households missing from the list. And to my dismay, one of the two missing households contains the very person (the ward clerk) I wanted to select as the building scheduler.

I can see nothing unusual about those two households. In both cases, they happen to be a married couple with no children living at home. But in both cases, both the husband and wife were omitted from the selection list for adding a building scheduler.

I haven't checked other wards to see what happens, since it's rather tedious to compare the lists, even using an editor with good regex replacement capabilities. But I was curious if anyone else had seen this. When it affects less than 2% of the households, if it's fairly random then it would be quite rare for the new building scheduler to be in an affected household, so it would be easy for most units to never even notice this problem (if, in fact, it affects other units).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Building Scheduler member list incomplete

Post by aebrown »

aebrown wrote:I can see nothing unusual about those two households. In both cases, they happen to be a married couple with no children living at home. But in both cases, both the husband and wife were omitted from the selection list for adding a building scheduler.
I checked three more wards. In two of them, no one was missing from the member list presented for selecting a building scheduler. But in the third one, an entire household was missing; this time there was a YW in the household who was also excluded. So it seems safe to conclude that the omissions are on a household basis. But I still have no idea what makes the omitted households special.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Do they have any of the privacy flags set?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JonesRK wrote:Do they have any of the privacy flags set?
Thanks for the tip -- I'm sure that's it. Two of the households I noted were set to "Private - Leadership only", so that makes sense. I should have thought of the visibility settings, but I had simply not imagined that the third household -- the one containing the ward clerk -- would have set his privacy settings to "Ward Visibility". But indeed he has.

It's pretty clear that people who set their visibility settings very often have no idea what some of the effects of that decision will be. Because those settings are configured in the Directory application, most people assume that the only effect will be on the Directory itself. They don't realize that they can't be set as a building scheduler, or a stake calendar editor (but they can be set as Newsletter publisher or admin -- go figure!), or receive email sent through Send a Message, even if that email is sent by a leader with the ability to see everyone.

I know that the issues surrounding privacy and permissions can be tricky, but I think that some of those limitations don't make sense. In the case at hand, for instance, my first thought is that I should be able to set anyone as a building scheduler (even if they have Ward Visibility), since I as a stake clerk can see anyone. But then you could argue that making someone a building scheduler makes them more broadly visible through the stake via the Calendar app, so their privacy setting should be respected. But then again, if they are already a building scheduler and then their privacy setting is reduced below Stake Visibility, they continue to be visible in the Calendar app. And it really makes no sense that visibility settings restrict who I can set as an editor of a stake calendar.

Well, enough musing for now. Thanks, JonesRK for pointing me in the right direction.

Return to “Calendar”