New Feature Request: Reoccuring Events With Exceptions

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.

Do you Like this Idea?

Yes
57%
No
43%
Kind of but with some tweaks (please leave comment)
No votes

Total votes: 7

DanielTerry

New Feature Request: Reoccuring Events With Exceptions

Post by DanielTerry »

I believe in making tools easier and more intuitive to use.
I make the following recommendation for a new feature.

Scenario 1:
I have Scouts every Wednesday night expect on the 4th Wednesday(which is combined activity), when it falls on a holiday, as well as a few other exceptions.

How I Do It Now:
1. Create a reoccurring event for Wednesday for the whole year
2. Scroll through each month click on each day that is an exception and move it or delete it.

How I Want To Do It:
2. Get a pop up list box with all of the events
3. Click on each exception events and move it
4. Save

Scenario 2:
I have Scouts every Wednesday night. I want access to the same room every night to have scouts in. The desired room/resource is books already for 3 of the 26 nights during the next year.

How I Do It Now:
1. I attempt to book a reoccurring event for all Wednesday nights for the entire year
2. I get an exception return stating their are conflicts
3. I am ok moving to a different room on those nights
Here is where it gets hairy; I have 2 options
4a. I say forget it and I book the event with no room for the entire year and say I will figure it out when I get their (then when I show up and I can't find a room I do scouts in the parking lot since no one can book that)
OR
4b. I do what I am suppose to and I some how figure out what nights have issues and book 4 reoccurring events starting and stopping at each of the exceptions. The only issue is now scouts show up as a 4 reoccurring events which i can not manage as a single reoccurring activity

How I Want To Do It:
1. I attempt to book a reoccurring event for all Wednesday nights for the entire year
2. I get an exception return stating their are conflicts
3. I am ok moving to a different room on those nights
4. I get the same pop up list box recommended in scenario 1 with all of the events and an indicator of the events with exceptions. I have option to change the event resource, time, or date.
5. I save the reoccurring events with the necessary adjusted exceptions. (I can now manage scouts as a reoccurring event with exceptions)

I am now a happy user because I can manage the exceptions instead of being managed by the exceptions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Feature Request: Reoccuring Events With Exceptions

Post by russellhltn »

danielterry wrote:I have 2 options
4a. I say forget it and I book the event with no room for the entire year and say I will figure it out when I get their (then when I show up and I can't find a room I do scouts in the parking lot since no one can book that)
OR
4b. I do what I am suppose to and I some how figure out what nights have issues and book 4 reoccurring events starting and stopping at each of the exceptions. The only issue is now scouts show up as a 4 reoccurring events which i can not manage as a single reoccurring activity
OR

4c. Book the event with not room for the entire year. Change all the non-exceptions to use the room you want. Now all the events are a single repeating event.

If the only exception is a date close to "now" you can go one past the conflict and change "all following events". But otherwise, it does become a pain for a weekly event.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

danielterry wrote:I believe in making tools easier and more intuitive to use.
I make the following recommendation for a new feature.

Scenario 1:
I have Scouts every Wednesday night expect on the 4th Wednesday(which is combined activity), when it falls on a holiday, as well as a few other exceptions.

How I Do It Now:
2. Scroll through each month click on each day that is an exception and move it or delete it.

How I Want To Do It:
2. Get a pop up list box with all of the events
3. Click on each exception events and move it
4. Save
Even though the 4th Wednesday is combined activity, the event should still show on your scout calendar. There is no need to do anything except edit that night to show its combined activity.
danielterry wrote:Scenario 2:
I have Scouts every Wednesday night. I want access to the same room every night to have scouts in. The desired room/resource is books already for 3 of the 26 nights during the next year.

Here is where it gets hairy; I have 2 options
OR
Since the room your trying to book is the assigned room for the scouts to meet in the correct procedure would be to find out what the conflicts are and who made the conflict then speak to the person so the conflict can be solved.

I would suggest having the Quorum President take care of both these issues.
DanielTerry

Post by DanielTerry »

the combined activity is not a scout event or a young women event as it is shared between the young men and young women and has its own calender called combined ym/yw calender. another all together problem that I will not bring up in this post (eg ownership of combined group events)
DanielTerry

Post by DanielTerry »

all,

quick reminder to vote to allow both a qualitative and quantitative view of this request.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

danielterry wrote:all,

quick reminder to vote to allow both a qualitative and quantitative view of this request.
For what purpose? There is little chance this will be seen by anyone who makes decisions of this nature. The best way to get feature requests before the correct people is to use the LDS.org "Do You have Feedback on This Page?" link.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
DanielTerry

Post by DanielTerry »

thanks for thw heads up JD. I will post there as well. your vote is non the less appreciated.
DanielTerry

Post by DanielTerry »

JD in addition can you tell me whether It is acceptable to make the request via the JIRA project page for calender?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

They prefer the community only use the JIRA for issues, bugs, and the like. While they do use the JIRA for feature updates, those requests have to be passed to the appropriate sponsoring department(s) for consideration before it is included in the JIRA.

It is possible a church employee may pass the information from this thread on for discussion but we have no assurances that will happen.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
DanielTerry

Post by DanielTerry »

Jd thanks again for the prompt response.

Return to “Calendar”