MLS on Windows 8?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
rrusk9

MLS on Windows 8?

Post by rrusk9 »

Like many other clerks, I keep a copy of MLS on a personal computer for running queries and reports from home. I recently purchased a computer running Windows 8. When I attempt to install MLS on this machine, the installer aborts complaining "Installer User Interface Mode Not Supported". It suggests using -i and one of silent, gui or console. I have tried all three, to no avail.

Has anybody succeeded in installing this yet? What did you have to do?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: MLS on Windows 8?

Post by jdlessley »

rrusk9 wrote:Like many other clerks, I keep a copy of MLS on a personal computer for running queries and reports from home.
This is ill advised. It is against instruction provided in the 18 August 2009 Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping policy letter.

Since there are no stakes or units running Windows 8 we do not advise discussing the installation of MLS on a Windows 8 system in these forums at this time.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rrusk9

Post by rrusk9 »

Hmm, I had not seen that. I had been trained prior to the issuance of that document that this was ok, approved and desirable. It certainly is helpful when you live far from church. I will bring my usage of mls in line with policy, and will mention this to our current stake clerk as a potential training item.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rrusk9 wrote:I had been trained prior to the issuance of that document that this was ok, approved and desirable.
I know that the same wording was in the March 2005 version of the policy, and I think it was included even before that. It's a longstanding policy.
rrusk9

Post by rrusk9 »

I am on my way to train my trainer.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jdlessley wrote:Since there are no stakes or units running Windows 8 we do not advise discussing the installation of MLS on a Windows 8 system in these forums at this time.
While policy prohibits installing MLS on personal computers with live data, installing MLS on personal computers with test data for training is permitted. Any discussions about installing MLS on Windows 8 for this purpose is acceptable.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I can see how that detail could have gotten missed. It's in a section of the document that's addressed specifically to the duties of the STS. I don't know as the document was distributed to clerks in general (At least not prior to LDSTech.) So I don't know as most clerks would be aware of it until it was pointed out to them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Another in the long line of reasons to allow remote access to the clerk computer. It only makes sense. If the Leader website had been worked on for the last couple of years, it is likely at this point it would be a non-issue. But since it's development is nowhere to be seen, we NEED access to our computers remotely. I have clerks that Drive a hour to get to their computers. SLC tells them to spend 90 minutes on an upgrade... they spend 2 hours driving just to find out that the upgrade wasn't pushed out... etc....

I can only believe that the central office making these decisions believes that they can access an unlimited supply of hours from clerks that are in the field. They feel free to use these hours anytime they like without warning and without notification. As this continues to be the case (CUBS upgrade, MLS 3.5), I don't see the attitude changing anytime soon, we MUST HAVE remote access.

Please consider our families, please consider the time we spend supporting this application.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator Note

Post by jdlessley »

JohnShaw wrote:Another in the long line of reasons to allow remote access to the clerk computer.
[Moderator Note: This topic is been discussed in other threads. Please follow the Code of Conduct and not fork this thread topic. Instead post in one of those other threads.]
JD Lessley

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”