Visualizing the Book of Mormon

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
jeffboyd

Visualizing the Book of Mormon

Post by jeffboyd »

I attended a lecture last Friday by a researcher from IBM showing off many-eyes.com, a website with powerful tools to visualize many different types of data, both numbers and text. She demonstrated lots of different data sets, one of which was from the Bible. I immediately wondered if someone had done something similar with the Book of Mormon. Luckily someone had already uploaded the text of the Book of Mormon, so I just created a simple "tag cloud" visualization that shows how often words appear (except for articles and conjunctions like "the" and "and"). You can see the most common single words and two-word phrases. The result is not particularly surprising, but it is interesting. See for yourself: http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/view/SAs1VMsOtha68o~YVbYYM2~

One cool thing about this site is you can leave comments about the visualizations. You can also search within a dataset. Enjoy!

-Jeff
opee

Post by opee »

Neat tool. Thanks for sharing!
danpass

WOW!

Post by danpass »

While the tag cloud is interesting, I just created a word tree visualization using the same text that you uploaded. This opens up a whole new way to search the scriptures (at least new to me). Type any word into the search field and select the start or end radio button to indicate whether you want the word to be at the beginning or end of the tree. You can shift-click on any word and that word becomes the new root of the search.

http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/view/SAs1VMsOtha6X9lTYNVaM2~
HintonBR

Fascinating

Post by HintonBR »

Thanks for sharing! That is very cool - provides a host of unique ways to view the main themes and messages of the Book of Mormon .

Return to “Links & Resources”