Language change

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
lloyd.gloekler

Language change

Post by lloyd.gloekler »

On Newsletter only, the default language is set to German and I need it in English. Have used the language link at bottom of newsletter page, select English, no change.

Thank you for your help,
Lloyd Gloekler
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is the language in the URL? You can change it there. That will get you around the problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Where do you live? Are you in a German-speaking country? Are your records in a German-speaking stake or branch? Is the operating system on your computer in German?

I'm not certain what drives the language choice on all the church sites. There are frequently reported problems with church web sites appearing in Spanish.
davidpurser

Re: Language change

Post by davidpurser »

I too am having problems with language change in Newsletter. I am in the UK and my default English changes to French when I select "Newsletter". I can change the default back, but then it changes to French again when I return to Newsletter.
This happens most times - but not every time, when I am on our laptop. When I am on our desktop machine there appears to be no problem!
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

davidpurser wrote:I too am having problems with language change in Newsletter. I am in the UK and my default English changes to French when I select "Newsletter". I can change the default back, but then it changes to French again when I return to Newsletter.
I first noticed this about 15 minutes ago, when I signed into my LDS account and then went to the Newsletter. It came up in SPAnish. The designator at the end of the URL for the newsletter was "SPA". So I switched it back to "ENG". As a further test, I cleared the browser (FF) cache, exited the browser and then came back and repeated the same steps, with the same results. I also confirmed that my choice of language is ENGlish in my LDS account.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

techgy wrote:As a further test, I cleared the browser (FF) cache, exited the browser and then came back and repeated the same steps, with the same results.
I think you may also need to delete cookies.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jdlessley wrote:
techgy wrote:As a further test, I cleared the browser (FF) cache, exited the browser and then came back and repeated the same steps, with the same results.
I think you may also need to delete cookies.
I always clear cookies when I leave the browser. This didn't make any difference. The problem only appears when using the Newsletter.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Same problem for me today on an iPad using Safari. My default language is English. The tools are all in English except for the newsletter. Going to the newsletter switches things to Spanish. If I shut down the browser and return then I'm back to English. If I try the newsletter again I'm back to Spanish.

When I go home I'll see what it does on another computer/operating system.
mmkids6

Post by mmkids6 »

A am continously having the problem, but reading all the responses does not tell me there is a permanent fix or not, or if there is a bug in the program. Please advise.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

We had this problem at a recent training. We were training all our presidencies at our Family History Library. Each participant had a computer and though we would go in and change the language to English. The language would go back to I think mostly Spanish & German. However the body of the news letters that was created was still in the language it was created in. (English) In General I have an idea that this could be possibly associated with when lds.org is experiencing high traffic times. It does not seem to happen as much on my computer at home or at expected low user times. Last Sunday we held two different training sessions. One at 4-5:15 P.M. the next one at 5:30-7:00 P.M. The 1st session we had a lot of problems with getting into lds.org. toward the end of that session many of the participants could get in and see the news letter but it was in other languages. The next session we had much better luck getting into lds.org. but the language problem was still present.

Return to “Newsletter”