Recommended coax to RCA converter?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
aclawson

Recommended coax to RCA converter?

Post by aclawson »

One of the buildings took some major water damage and all of the electronics were destroyed. They have since been replaced, but in this day and age VCRs are no longer purchased for the buildings - only DVD players. Up until now to set up the projection of general conference/other satellite broadcasts in the chapel we would run coax from the wall to a VCR, then RCA from the VCR to the projector. Without a VCR this is a tad bit tricky to pull off.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a specific coax --> RCA (and maybe other formats as well just to keep the options open - S-Video, VGA plausibly useful but not 100% necessary) converter? We will have to make sure that we can tune the channel coming off of the coax as channel 3 is for the satellite feed and channel 10 is for the interior camera feed.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aclawson wrote:Up until now to set up the projection of general conference/other satellite broadcasts in the chapel we would run coax from the wall to a VCR, then RCA from the VCR to the projector. Without a VCR this is a tad bit tricky to pull off.

We still use a VCR to tune the signal from the coax. If we did not have a VCR, I understand that there are some tuning devices that will do the same thing, and we would have to purchase one of them.

The VCR or other tuning device is the key to converting the coax multiple channel signal to a video output the projector is able to use, since the projector cannot handle a signal from the broadcast distribution system that is not tuned and converted.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

That's exactly the problem - we need to get either a tuner or a VCR and would prefer not to have to get a VCR as they are obsolete, but the tuners are hard to find these days (I found some on Amazon but they are out of stock with no word when they will be available again which usually means that they will never be).

As technology advances this will be a frequently encountered issue. I hope the people in SLC are aware of this and are working on a solution now so that 20 years in the future we don't see wards scrambling to find VCRs which by then will be pretty much impossible to procure.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In our chapel, there's also a baseband video run from the satellite rack to the podium which eliminates the need for a tuner. But that may be because the rack is in the back of the choir loft, not halfway across the building. You might want to inquire if that's a possibility.

In the 20-year time frame I think we'll end up going to something else such as VGA, HDMI, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

RussellHltn wrote:In our chapel, there's also a baseband video run from the satellite rack to the podium which eliminates the need for a tuner. But that may be because the rack is in the back of the choir loft, not halfway across the building.
Do you have only a single channel for video? If you will never be watching anything other than the satellite feed then things are easy, but if you have an internal camera for broadcasting stake conference video throughout the building then things are harder.

Already some broadcasts are coming through Roku which is an approved solution for buildings without satellite and those boxes have RCA out. They just don't have all of the broadcasts on the roku channel yet.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:Do you have only a single channel for video? If you will never be watching anything other than the satellite feed then things are easy, but if you have an internal camera for broadcasting stake conference video throughout the building then things are harder.
Yes, the feed I mentioned is only for the satellite when viewing in the chapel. It doesn't cover the "chapel" feed which would be used elsewhere.
aclawson wrote:Already some broadcasts are coming through Roku which is an approved solution for buildings without satellite and those boxes have RCA out. They just don't have all of the broadcasts on the roku channel yet.
But that doesn't solve the problem of extending the local chapel.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:In our chapel, there's also a baseband video run from the satellite rack to the podium which eliminates the need for a tuner. But that may be because the rack is in the back of the choir loft, not halfway across the building. You might want to inquire if that's a possibility.
How far can you go with a baseband video run?
aclawson wrote:Do you have only a single channel for video? If you will never be watching anything other than the satellite feed then things are easy, but if you have an internal camera for broadcasting stake conference video throughout the building then things are harder.

In theory, we would run the primary English video channel. We also have another language channel, but the video would be the same.

We do not have an internal camera setup in our present stake center for broadcasting stake conference, but even if we were doing that, we would not need the video in the chapel.

But suppose we did. Is it feasible to have the satellite rack end of the baseband video on some type of plug that could be switched to the output of, say, a DVD or other media player, if there were a need?

Again, I suppose in our case it comes down to the length possible for the video run.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:How far can you go with a baseband video run?
I see one site claims 650 ft. Beyond that, you may need amplifiers to bring the signal level up.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I see one site claims 650 ft. Beyond that, you may need amplifiers to bring the signal level up.

Our building only needs 300. I think I will look into this. We lost the remote for the VCR a long time ago, but it defaults to channel 2, which is the one we need, so we have been able to muddle through anyway. I just never imagined it was an option.
rolandc

Re:

Post by rolandc »

aclawson wrote: Do you have only a single channel for video? If you will never be watching anything other than the satellite feed then things are easy, but if you have an internal camera for broadcasting stake conference video throughout the building then things are harder.
In our Stake, as the VCR/Tuners quit I simply change the coax that goes to the pulpit. I take it off the RF TAP/distribution block and put it on the Composite splitter/amp (VDA-6) Its all satellite all the time to the pulpit. If a need ever arose to have the the camera out put on the chapel screen its very easy to move the cable, to the camera amp. I however have never seen anything other than Satellite on the main screen.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”