Would it make sense to add Lesson Schedules to the Gospel Library application?

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
mevans

Would it make sense to add Lesson Schedules to the Gospel Library application?

Post by mevans »

I'd love to see Lesson Schedules become available for mobile devices. I think it would really help drive adoption of the tool. As I thought about it, it may may the most sense to make it part of the Gospel Library application...just make it another screen.

Here are my thoughts:
  • It's read only; leave the administrative functions to the web site tool.
  • Synchronize the classes shown to the check boxes on the web application. Give the user an interface on the mobile device to select which classes are shown.
  • Selecting a lesson opens the manual I've already downloaded to Gospel Library on my mobile device.
I see some potential issues:
  • What do you do if the user hasn't downloaded the required manual to the mobile device's Gospel Library? Prompt the user to download it? Give the user the option to go to the URL? How about an option that automatically downloads lessons to the mobile device a week prior to the lesson being given? We don't want to kill church internet connections with everyone downloading lessons at the beginning of the class ;)
  • The Lesson Schedules tool is currently adding the ability to specify a URL for lessons. This should be available by the end of 2012. This will allow for things like Teaching for Our Times (TFOT) lessons to have a link to the conference talk. However, the talk could be available in the Gospel Library, which has a better user interface than going to the URL. Is there a convenient way to associate a URL to an item in the mobile device's Gospel Library and use it instead?
I know most people here have no control over what the church decides to implement, but thought I'd post this for thoughts and discussion.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

You have my yes vote. I think it would be used allot more than the on line service.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It makes sense. But there are two parts: First, the church would have to develop the API to allow GL to get in the info. Then the app delivers have to implement that.

Given the backlog on other things, it may take time for the church developers to get around to part 1.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

I like the idea, but it makes more sense to put it in the LDS Tools application (the one that already has your ward list and calendar).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mfmohlma wrote:I like the idea, but it makes more sense to put it in the LDS Tools application (the one that already has your ward list and calendar).

I see what you're saying from a software development standpoint, but I'm not sure as I agree from a user interface standpoint. I'd expect a fairly good integration between the lessons and GL such that I can jump from the lesson to the material. If the lesson supports multiple citations, then it needs to somehow support "backing up" and following a new link.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mevans wrote: I see some potential issues:
The youth curriculum adds some issues. While you identified having the manual downloaded as an issue and using URLs, youth curriculum does not have a manual and just about every lesson would be linked by URL to the learning outlines topic.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Gospel Library”